Thursday, May 19, 2022

Update from Ken

Ken wrote to Dave and I on Tuesday with this news:

Finally home after 16 days in hospital - I have not experienced such boredom before so it is good to be home. My hospital stay got extended because I had to wait for a few days before the hospital could operate and then a further delay in availability of a care team for home visits.

My previous longest hospital stay was a week in Kazan in Tartarstan in 1969 - despite my complaints I prefer the Royal Surrey.

The only significant injury is a fractured ankle so I suppose I can consider myself lucky. My eBike frame is broken and cranks, gear and rear wheel and mech are all destroyed so I think the car pushed me off the bike clear of the car apart from my right leg and then drove over the rear of the bike.

I am am not allowed to use my right foot at all as the ankle has been fitted with steel rods/plates and reset in a plaster cast, so I have to move using around using a zimmer frame which is completely knackering. Each trip to the toilet is harder than a ride over the North Downs. The plan is the foot will be reset in load bearing plaster in 2 weeks time so hopefully I can hobble/walk and possibly get into the garden, and after another month possibly remove the plaster cast. Back on the bike?  - physio advice is to take it slowly -  could be 12 weeks.

Now looking for a replacement eBike. I have got Cycling UK/ Slater and Gordon to take up my claim. The police have advised that they are planning to prosecute the driver for careless driving.

Tim - congratulations on being awarded the Jessop trophy - well deserved.

Dave - thanks to you and the Wayfarer's posse, especially Sue, which rescued my bike.

Thanks for the card

Ken 

 

No comments: