Thursday, October 19, 2023

'A' Group Ride Report - Weds 18 October

 

Apocalyptic-sounding weather forecasts are becoming an all too familiar feature of Wednesday rides.   Today's forecast was certainly bad enough to put me off but as 'A' group ride leader I was unfortunately obliged to put in an at least an appearance at elevenses!   I am humbled by those 'A' and 'B' riders who turned out of their own free will in the face of threatened adversity!

Anyway, there was a very respectable gathering at Manor Farm Day Centre.   We were made very welcome, it was very warm and cosy, and a convivial elevenses resulted, with plenty of inter-group mingling (all perfectly respectable, I assure you)!



All too soon it was time to set off, not without some trepidation.   Hans very gamely led a small but select 'A' sub-group on my route as originally planned, with lunch at Velolife, Warren Row.   They made a pretty good job of it and, fuelled by the legendary toasted sandwiches, and returned home without incident.  As far as I can tell, none of them got swept away by floods, anyway!  Many thanks to Hans for agreeing to lead from .gpx, no mean feat as with one of my routes you can never be quite sure what you are letting yourself in for!

Not without some encouragement from me, my group opted for a much shorter, hastily improvised route with a loop out to Dorney and Fifield and lunch at the Cinnamon Cafe, Windsor.  There was a little rain on and off on the way to the cafe but nothing too serious.   We certainly felt the strength of the wind as we turned westward but it was not too bothersome.

If you are going to find you have got a puncture, the Cinnamon Cafe is a pretty good place to choose!   In my case the proprietor, most solicitous as ever, promptly appeared, unbidden, with a track pump!   All was quickly sorted (or so I thought) and I had time for a cream scone before, following the customary inspection of the steam locomotive and debate (is it real or not?) we set off for home.

Rain gradually set in on the route back to Walton but it was never too bad, and the brisk headwind did not, even once, stop us in our tracks.   At Thorpe my puncture reasserted itself and I told the group to make for the safety of their arks and leave me to it - I would try to find higher ground.   The rest of the puncture saga is deemed too embarrassing for publication but suffice it to say that I did eventually manage to ride home in one piece, in good time for tea, only slightly wet rather than soaked through, but thoroughly annoyed!   I am left musing that had we attempted the original route, the cursed punctures might all have been avoided!

Many thanks to my bold and resilient group for their company and to Simon for very kindly back-marking  throughout the ride.




No comments: