Thursday, October 19, 2023

Report of the A Group Ride on 11th October.

The main event of the day was the Freewheel Competition and the report of that can be seen in Terry's report. After the prizegiving was over we had three compact groups of four for the ride to lunch.

Here is Dave Vine's report - 

A fair day for the Freewheel, with the prospect of a helpful tailwind down Root Hill. My group of Sue C, Peter and Brian (unfortunately minus Janice – I hope you are fully better soon) set off on time and arrived at Root Hill just in time to start descending. This year none of us achieved the magic distance, congratulations to those who triumphed, and thanks to Terry, Ed and pusher-off Tony for making it a success.

The helpful wind direction became unhelpful on the way to lunch in Horley. But no matter as Neil had arranged a short ride to the Jack Fairman. Even the sun made a brief appearance over lunch.

The ride back to Leatherhead was uneventful, before which two peeled off for home leaving two for tea in Amici. Thanks to my group for their company, and for being the only group to remain intact and pointing in the right direction throughout.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frances led Steve, Mark and Andy H and appears to have lunch in a reversed universe.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I led the last group away from Brockham Green. On the outskirts of the village I looked over my shoulder and my group wasn't there. I had only gone a couple of hundred yards and had lost my whole group! I assumed they had had some kind of bike issue so I returned to the green but there was no sign of them. 

After a few phone calls I managed to locate them and we all set off for Horley where Andy C skilfully used the self-timer on his camera for this photo.


Thanks to Frances and Dave for ensuring we all had a grand day out.


No comments: