Thursday, January 08, 2009

Easy Riders Jan 7th

The overall turnout at Cobham was a bit thin; not surprising considering the bitter cold. However Lynda led off for The Swan at Thames Ditton and I figured there were at least three behind me at number three with Lynda and Roger in front. Having been off the road for some weeks with ops on my eyes my ability to keep up suffered somewhat but I was sure someone was following and would no doubt overtake my too sedate pace.
After a few hills on what I think now was the old Portsmouth Road going in the direction of Esher, I soon discovered I was alone and asked the way to be told to go over the `Big roundabout` some way ahead. Had I realised it was the Scilly Isles`everything would have been hunky dory' as we used to say and I took the wrong turnoff and found I was on a busy double carriageway (the Kingston bypass). A van driver in the next layby was no help as he was looking for Thames Ditton and was obliged to press on while I got on the pavement and returned to the correct turnoff to our lunch destination where I found Lynda, Roger, Phil and a little later Fuzz, Ron and Dennis. A nice pub but getting to it meant a walk through a narrow lane and the local graveyard, not wishing to ride and upset any of the locals.
Tea was to be at Chessington so I made my apologies and made for home through Esher, Hersham, Walton and Weybridge. Only around twenty miles but feeling a bit fitter today. Cheers------------Albert

No comments: