Wednesday, January 28, 2009

One of those days

Help! Half past five on Wednesday morning: ooh! I did have a bad night thinking about my saddle bag and what would pack in it - might it rain? Should it be coat or cape? Do I need a hat or helmet? and many other thoughts crowding in a space not adeqate or able to cope on the best of days. So, five thirty - looking out of the window - very misty so no clue there, coat and cape then, must clean my teeth, might as well get up, stubbed my toe on my bike reaching for the coat in the hall - must find a new home for the bike - oh-no! a puncture, took about or nearly one hour to find the rubber solution and the patch stuck to my fingers not the tube.

Back to bed - woke up, half past nine ! I'm late shall I try to get to the Wayfarers by 11 or back to sleep? - get up you lazy girl - you can make it Cheam to Teddington - not so bad.
On the bike - got there 10 mins to spare - I'm the first, not a bad morning after all - just a mo'! Out with the runs list - 11's is Kingston - not Teddington!! - but I made it, locked the bike went inside, meeting a group coming out, asked for a coffee - had two sips, - no I did not have less than 50p shouting over my shoulder - watching my group turn the corner.


Back at the bike I can't find the key not in any pocket: pulled everything out of the saddle bag tearing my coat as I did, found the key still in the lock - had never locked it! Jumped on the bike only to find the chain off, by the time I reached the corner they were not in sight, it started to pour down - it was then I found I had left my cape at the centre! That was my Wednesday ride - none of the lads missed me - so I went back to bed. Reported in absence of Albert.


Harold Fifield

No comments: