Tuesday, March 09, 2010

A Trip To The Seaside



I'm rostered to lead a ride from Henfold Lakes on 14 April and have been giving some thought to the route. As we'll be starting at one of our Southernmost points, I wondered whether a ride to the seaside might not make a change. The advantages we have are that the day is in any case scheduled for an early start - 0900 at Cheam - and the daylight hours are getting longer, with sunset just before 2000. The disadvantage is that the ride would be about 100 miles round trip to Cheam, which may be too much for some.

I've sketched out a map (see above) of a route that might work. It's about 35 miles from Henfold to Worthing, pretty countryside and not too hilly, and the route back parallels the Horsham/Dorking/Leatherhead/Cheam railway line, so that anyone who wants to drop off when they've had enough can easily hop on a train.

The outline plan would be a brisk and early start, lunch at the seaside, paddling for those who want it and then a return to Leatherhead. We'd be too late for Annies but in good time for an early supper at Wetherspoons.

What do you think? I'd be grateful if people would let me know over the next few weeks, either by talking to me on one of the rides or by posting a comment here. If most people would rather something else then plans are easy enough to change!

Mark

2 comments:

mike morley said...

Mark, What a splendid idea. It will be 12.1/2wks on 14 April since I broke my arm and 5wks from today when you do your Worthing run. On the basis that a train may help take the strain on the way back and subject to a dry day, I would like to join you. Yesterday was my first 6mls and toaday 9mls on the bike so although the arm seems more dibilitating than the hip, the initial rides are proving somewhat easier so I will give it a go!

Pete said...

Its about the right time to have a few longer rides as there is enough newer people willing to take part
From Pete M