Thursday, June 07, 2018

A Cautionary Tale

When I rebuilt my Dawes Super Galaxy I re-used as many parts as possible.   Possibly one too many.   I reused the chainset, including the old chain which was a bit too short (4 links too short).  I thought "well I won't use the bigger cogs and all will be OK".   Then we went on the C&M Easter Tour, and there were hills.   I managed to use the bigger cogs and all seemed OK, for a while.   After the Easter Tour I had to replace the chain - fair enough.  It all still worked ok.  A month later on my first day in Scotland, I had to replace the cassette as it was skipping gears.  And I soon realised that the pulley wheels on the rear derailleur were worn, so they got changed.   When I returned I started having problems with the chain slipping off the big chainring, especially when I was pushing hard - starting out at a junction in traffic, that sort of thing.  Awkward.   Could the chainring be worn after only a couple of years?    See the photo for the answer.   Cost of doing it my way: about £75.   Cost of a new chain:  much less.  Don't try this at home.

2 comments:

Tim C said...

A great story. I think we're always tempted to see what we can get away with. Where I am at the moment is with the belief that it is worth replacing the chain before it has stretched very much. I think Jeff may have written some advice on this topic in a recent Sou'Wester. On the other hand I have just replaced the entire bike which may prove to be an extravagance!

PS Would you like all the old bits from my shed? Odd bits of Campag, Cinelli, not to mention my collection of old ball-bearings in various sizes.

Simon L said...

Old ball bearings eh - now you're talking!