Saturday, June 30, 2018

Down to Winchester




On Wednesday, I piggy-backed on Mike's Winchester ride to do a route that I've been working on for a while - I first wrote about it in November 2016.  The plan was to start at Epsom Downs and to ride along the edge of the North Downs to Farnham, before following Simon's route to Winchester.  Due to issues with the Southern Railway I eventually started at Leatherhead, but the bit I missed I know well, so it didn't matter much.

The trackway parts are ancient, some stretches evidently a drove road, and the surface is fine at this time of the year.  Along to Guildford, up The Mount, and on to Farnham via Seale.

Hop Garden near Puttenham

Hans and I arrived at the pub at about the same time, and had a chat in the garden waiting for the others.

After lunch, I rode with Mike's group as far as New Alresford, where the party divided into those who wanted tea and those who had trains to catch.  I had a good run with the railway enthusiasts along the end of the Itchen Valley, sweeping in to Alfred's Saxon capital on a warm summer's evening.


There was just time for a beer in the sunny square by the Norman Cathedral before taking my train home with traveller's tales to tell over supper.

GPX available for anyone interested - ride it while it's hot!

Mark






No comments: