Monday, June 04, 2018

Mallorcan Meanderings

Robert Graves' Raleigh


As a newcomer to cycling in Mallorca, I have been able to benefit from the experience of others.  For the visit that I have just made Dave Jackson loaned me a very handy map, called simply Bike Mallorca.
The thing about this map is that it categorises roads by the amount of traffic on them, which, when you think about it, is something most cyclists want to know.  So I was able to take another look at the classic route along the Tramuntana in the light of this additional information.  As I was staying in Deia I rode my new route as two half-day rides, but it would be easy enough to do it as a good day's ride, going right across the top of the island.  If you were staying in Port de Pollensa one of the bike shuttle companies could take you to the start, and then it's a ride home.  It's 88 miles and in several parts you could ride for half an hour without seeing a car, or anything much else, for that matter.  It also raises the prospect of a tour around the island, which would be three good days, by my reckoning ...




My bike for the trip was the same as last time, well prepared by Marc at Deia Bike Rental.  Di2, Ultegra and decently light at 7 kilos, it was a very good machine for the sunny roads of Mallorca.


Marc told me that the cycling season was drawing to a close, as it was getting warmer and summer visitors were starting to arrive.  Much less cycling between now and September, when it starts again.

Hotel San Lorenzo, Palma
Next time we'll probably take a tandem over.  The logistical issues don't look insurmountable, and I think we'd have a very good time.  Couple of other things to tuck in first, but it's good to plan ahead.

Mark


1 comment:

Simon L said...

7 kilos? My wheels weigh that much ...