Monday, March 15, 2021

Refreshments on Sundays

Preferring to visit Boxhill midweek I head in the opposite at weekends. Yesterday my ride through the lanes took me to Parkgate then Rusper. Here cyclists were partaking of 11s outside the village store/Post Office at the road junction opposite The Star, but I thought 'Too early - I've got other plans'. MISTAKE ! Heading south I soon turned into Green Lane then the other Friday Street, passing what used to be the Royal Oak but is now hidden behind screens. After heading north through Capel I arrived at my destination - Ruby's, a cafe mainly for anglers at the little lake. I'd looked in there a few years ago but now the whole area is smartened up. Unfortunately the only food ever available is all day breakfast - but not to worry, I had emergency rations. Whilst eating, five motorcyclists arrived with 'Wayward Sons' on their sleeves but I think one could have been a wayward daughter. Soon I passed through Beare Green and noted the Surrey Hills cafe was closed (I think it is normally open on Sundays). Some years ago Cheam and Morden used to meet there when it was the Blu Moon - who could forget the welcoming fug of steamed up windows and cigarette smoke ? It's changed owners and name a few times since then, the last time I saw it was when it was a Chinese takeaway. A pleasant, quiet ride with very little traffic of any description but I did see a wagon and two horses and later a wagon and six horses.

Terry


No comments: