Monday, March 08, 2021

The Local Richmond Hill-y 60k

I didn't have anything planned today, like most other days, so I thought I would do a local version of the Hilly 50k ride.    First I had to devise a route.  I discounted Hampton Hill (too busy) and Strawberry Hill (wrong season), which left Richmond Hill.   There are many routes up Richmond Hill, and after riding them all in the past few weeks, I chose a route which offers the following attractive features:

Historical interest (the house, not the bike)
  • Quiet roads (mainly traffic calmed)
  • No traffic lights (very important), and only three give-way junctions
  • All left turns
  • Gradient varies from a modest 4-6% at the start of the route, up to a tough 4-6% at the end of the route
  • Frequent excellent views of historically significant houses.   In particular, Virginia Woolf's house.
  • Varied road surfaces, just like the real Hilly 50
  • Technical descents, with several nasty speed bumps and a pothole or two to keep you in practice
  • North-facing aspect helps with climate control
  • Local - less than 3 miles from my doorstep
  • Regular feed stations every 0.85 miles
  • Auspicious finishing line at the gates of Richmond Park.

One of the many feed stops

Today was an ideal day to do it:  Spring weather and little traffic, although that changed at school kicking-out time.   I went a bit wrong at first so did a different climb to the one I intended, but it still counted towards my total.    After that, navigating the rest of the course went pretty smoothly: up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down.

The Route: (Onslow Road
and Mount Ararat Road)

elevation profile

After 600 metres of climbing I was more than ready to visit the feed station, which was very satisfactory.   Then another 400 metres ... as I summited the final hill, I only had 991 metres on the clock.  There was nothing for it but to move the goalposts to Richmond Park: another 11 metres of climbing to get to the gates, and I recorded 1002 metres.

A most enjoyable day out:  I highly recommend it to locals. In total, 43 miles and 1015 metres of ascent door to door.

The Grand Arrivé

9 comments:

Dave Vine said...

Well done Simon! I counted 41 ascents, which calls for serious dedication. Even the counting would give me a headache.

As you will all be aware, last Saturday, March 6th, we would have run the Hilly 50k, as it has ben run for many years by Mike Morley, in aid of St Raphael’s Hospice -

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/mmm50k

To continue the tradition in Covid-times Paul James has organised a DIY Hilly 50 around Coulsdon which you are welcome to try. Others have done their own Hilly 50 thing on routes local to them, all in aid of St Raphael’s. Simon’s ride is probably the whackiest H50 to date. But if you can think of another, or even just plan a nice local hilly ride, please let us know on the blog.

Ged Lawrenson said...

Loved your Silly 50!

Simon L said...

Dave, I think 41 ascents is about right. After I measured the first at 25 metres, I had plenty of time to work out 4 ascents equals 100 metres. So I was quite annoyed to discover after 20 ascents (and counting down to the feed stop) I'd only done about 485 metres: a bonus hill had been given to me.

Mark G said...

Well done, Simon. I expect that you've already thought of this, but your new Hilly 50 route would be very good for Everesting. It would be about 353 laps, or so, I think. Could be more, but the Garmin would sort out the detail.

Good thing there are plenty of feed stations.

Mark

Simon L said...

Mark, In fact it's not something I'd previously considered, but it's certainly a thought. 353 laps would be approximately 300 miles, so it would be an impressive day out.

Mark G said...

Hmm, yes, 'spose so.

Might as well ride straight up Everest, really.

;-)

Geoff Gregory said...

Hi Simon, nice to see other local suburban hill rides thought that my local Wimbledon hills was mad enough and I had a lot of variety to choose as my Ups and Downs. As I am reasonably local I will summon up the courage to give some of it a go.
Well done
Geoff G

Brian Bent said...

I was hoping to plan a local hilly 50 on Hampton Hill, if someone could tell me where it is ?? I've been here 10 years and not found it yet !!. I have considered putting my Turbo at an angle !

Simon L said...

Brian, you must be too fit to notice the hills! I always notice a huge hill around 5th Cross Road / Fulwell railway bridge when I'm riding towards Hampton Hill from Twickenham, and an even bigger one when returning from Hampton riverside up to Hampton Hill, especially at the end of a long ride :-)