Friday, April 16, 2021

Invitation to the A group ride on April 21

You are cordially invited to join the A group ride to probably the best pub in Puttenham, the Good Intent, on April 21st.   The exceptionally dry weather has opened up the chance to revisit the scenic High Level Route discovered by Mark Gladwyn several years ago along the North Downs Way to Guildford.  This has some off-road, but Don't Panic!!!   a) it's not that scary, and b) for the off-road hesitant, there is an on-road alternative group.

I have found a most convenient start point at the conveniences, Great Bookham, with at least three cafes nearby, recommended by the B group after their ride on 31 March.  (I'll add cafe details after the recce).   Tea is at Ripley.

We have been asked to pre-order food from the menu here.  Please let me know by Monday 6pm if you would like to join the ride, your meal choice, and which ride option (main or alternative) you would prefer.

The biggest hill on the route is the ascent of Green Dene to the top of Combe Lane, so it's not very hilly, but it's not flat either.  From the top of Combe Lane, the off-road route follows the North Downs Way to Guildford.  This is hard-packed mud, dry, mostly smooth, and fairly level or gently downhill, and takes you to Newlands Corner and then on to Pewley Down above Guildford before rejoining tarmac for a steep descent into Guildford - good brakes essential.  There are a few muddy puddles to ride around and tree roots to avoid, so you need to leave gaps to see what's coming, but it's a wide track and there is no rush.

The on-road route follows roads and rejoins the off-road route at Shalford, for a few undulations via Shackleford to lunch.

After lunch, there is again a short off-road option along the lovely Christmaspie trail, flat and easy riding, while the on-road alternative does a slightly longer loop to rejoin at Wood Street before heading to Ripley.

Routes and mileages: main (with off-road sections): 35 miles, 1470 feet of ascent.  Alternative (all on road): 37.3 miles, 1580 feet of ascent.


5 comments:

Geoffrey Shields said...

Simon, looks tantalising. Please put me down for the offroad included ride and charcuterie board for lunch. What time is LGD from Bookham? 1100?

Unknown said...

Hi Simon
Please can I book a place on your ride in a slower group if possible and could I have a smoked salmon sandwich.
Thanks
Gina

Jackie Townsend said...

Hi Simon, I had my jab yesterday so I’m feeling slightly off colour today but I’m hoping that I’ll feel better tomorrow and up for a ride.
If so, is it too late to join the main ride tomorrow?
To avoid complications with the pub, I can either bring my own packed lunch or try and sneak in an order by phoning the pub in advance on the day.
If that’s ok and it’s ok to join in, I hope to see you tomorrow.
Many thanks,
Jackie

Simon L said...

Hi Jackie,
You're welcome to join us - we have one space in either Dave Vine's group, leaving at 10.50, or mine, departing at 11.10. Unfortunately I don't have your email or phone number so can't contact you direct! Dave V. may be in touch to say much the same. Hope you are feeling better now.
Simon

Jackie Townsend said...

Hi Simon,
That’s great. Thank you!
I have to confess I’m feeling a bit worse but fingers crossed, I’ll be able to sleep it off and I’ll see you tomorrow for the later ride, if that’s ok.
I’m happy for Dave Vine to pass you my details and if I’m not coming out, I’ll let Dave know tomorrow - if that’s ok, Dave.
All being well, see you tomorrow!
Jackie 😀