Thursday, April 29, 2021

Ride Report - 'A' Group 28 April 2021 (Hampton Court & Burnham Beeches)

 

It was very disappointing that after weeks of dry and sunny weather we were greeted by leaden skies, a brisk, cold wind, and threatening rain as we gathered by the river at Molesey Lock for elevenses.   There were no drop-outs and the ride was over-subscribed.   Co-leaders Hans, Mike and Frances ushered their groups away promptly and efficiently (possibly no one wanted to hang around too long as it was so cold), so many thanks are due to them, and to Simon (as sub-co-leader with a mini group of two)!

There were plenty of points of interest, especially on the outward ride, but it wasn't really sightseeing weather.   However, I hope you noticed 'the river that was moved' by Heathrow, and remarked the contrast between high speed travel today (Terminal 5) and two centuries or so ago (as witnessed by the old coaching inns we passed along the Bath Road a few miles away in Colnbrook).



My group (Alan, John B, Dave and Jennie, Stephen Foster (making his debut 'A' ride) set off last and we made good progress, only really pausing at Pinewood.

Jennie wanted us to blag our way into the studios but we carried on and arrived at lunch at 13.15.    I think it is fair to say that the group as a whole gave the Fox and Pheasant mixed reviews!   I mention in my defence that it was my third choice of pub.   Actually, I was glad it did have a bit of cover and at least the semblance of heaters (which my second choice venue wouldn't have done)!   A few side walls to the construction would have made it even better!   My experience of the app was actually very good, but it wasn't ever clear how people who didn't have the app were supposed to order.   The food was pretty standard pub fare - we've had better, we've had worse.  We've certainly had pricier!


My group were rather late setting off for home and rain was setting in, so I'm ashamed to say we cut out the scenic bit (you've seen one beech tree, you've seen 'em all), and shortened the route back from Staines.  At Staines one of our group unfortunately fell off awkwardly while riding at slow speed.   A wrist injury was suspected but they were able to bravely ride on with us to Shepperton to catch a train home.   The rest of us continued to Walton in steady rain and decided to pass on a tea stop, it being well past tea time by now!  Many thanks to all my group for their company and good spirits, and thanks to everyone else for your support!




Group Report from Simon Our mini-group, just Geoff and I, was reminiscent of the old days of riding in pairs.   We enjoyed a fast ride on little-used roads out to Burnham Beeches, with a tailwind.   The pub served good food promptly but ordering using the app caused a few furrowed brows, myself included!  A slower, cooler and damper ride back.  The forecast said 13 degrees but my Garmin said it was 6 degrees as we were riding home from tea at around 5pm!   Thank you Geoff for your company and thanks to David for an enjoyable and novel route with some lovely lanes in Bucks.


2 comments:

Geoff Gregory said...

Thank you Dave for a good ride, Simon and I chose to do the route as per the Garmin and although your group had cut it short we saw you cross the lights at Shepperton. I would like to thank Simon for making a wet ride worth it and for finding my lost glove

Simon L said...

I won't tell them where we found it Geoff!