Thursday, February 03, 2022

A group ride report 2nd February to Wonersh

 25 riders (quite a number for winter) set off from Cobham in three groups led by Neil Crocker, Dave Vine and myself.

Dave Vine sent his report as follows:-

Ride Report 10.50 Group

I started with my mighty group of 9, Gina,Sue C, Dave F, Nigel (returning for a second week, welcome!) Brian, Pete Beyer (taking a rest from the B's chaingang) Frances and John B. Soon we became 10, with Simon who had nobly dropped out of Neil's 10.40 group to sort out a puncture.

We were halted at the bottom of Combe Lane where John had punctured and dented his front rim after hitting a rock on the descent. Puncture soon mended we were awheel again.

Even with this delay we were at the Grantley in Wonersh before 1 pm, served excellent food at 'spoons' speed, pictured and on our way well before 2 pm.

Only one hill in the afternoon, Halfpenny Lane rarely ridden and for good reason, an ingenious route through the outskirts of Guildford and we were back in Cobham shortly after 3. Here, some parted for home, while others met up with Neil's group for tea in the sun, while doing what cyclists do best, talking.

Thanks to Dave F for back marking and to all my group for cheerful company, not to mention reviving little used corner marking skills. Thanks also to Simon for the photo and thanks to Steve for organising; a couple of hills plus a sprinkling of lumps, decent lunch and decent weather. Great.

Neil C started at 10.40 with Dave and Jennie Jackson, Simon, Richard, Ged, Steve W and Keith. He soon lost Simon who punctured. We don't normally leave riders behind, but Simon is a professional and simply joined Dave Vine's group following.

After this they made good progress arriving after the first group at the Grantley Arms.

I left with Patrick, Dave W, Neil W, Janice, Mark, Dave B and Hans at 10.30. I tried to set a fast pace, but despite having Dave W as a back marker I felt like a fox being chased by hounds. Up the long ascent up Shere Road I could hear my fellow riders discussing the merits of electric bikes, while it was all I could do to draw breath. Anyway they eventually overtook me and politely waited at the top. I have to say it is a wonderful thing to see strong riders in our company because it inspires you to do better. In any case we arrived at the pub at 11.50 am. The service was good and so was the food, but annoyingly the experience was spoilt by dry bread. Why, after I had carefully booked 10 days before and phoned them the day before with numbers to expect, didn't they order fresh bread for that day or collect it? Disappointing. 

After lunch Mark said farewell and we set off at 12.50 pm to tackle more climbing circumventing Guildford via Merrow Street. Then, of course, the lumpy A3 cycle path until Grove Heath Road to Cobham. Some time before this Dave W took his leave. We arrived at Caffe Capital at 2 pm.

Everyone seemed to enjoy the ride despite hills and punctures. I suspect due to warmer and dry conditions. It is so much easier to ride without cold weather clobber. My thanks to Dave W for his back marking skills and to my fellow riders for the cheery company. Many thanks also to the usual suspects, Neil Crocker and Dave Vine for taking time out to recce and lead this ride with me.

Steve D.

No comments: