Friday, February 18, 2022

Invitation to A group ride from “Leatherhead” 23 Feb.

 

Aka "the ride that went wrong"

I planned this ride a couple of weeks ago but first of all I discovered that my proposed 11s venue at Leatherhead  had recently closed permanently and secondly that the proposed pub had no sandwich options available. So plans have changed somewhat. There is also the little matter of Recces as originally planned for today or the weekend remain far too adverse for my liking. The wind gusts are not forecast to drop below 40mph (as pm  last Wednesday) until next Wednesday, currently forecast to be a mere 30mph. I did at least do a preliminary recce of the section north on the M25 on 9th Feb.

 

So what we have left is a ride that starts from The Olive Tree Café at Ashtead Park Garden Centre Pleasure pit road NOT Leatherhead (which we have used previously for afternoon tea). Its possibly 1.5 miles closer than Leatherhead for the majority. The ride takes us 22 lumpy miles to lunch at the Dog and Duck Outwood via Walton, Mugswell, Chipstead, Coulsdon and Chaldon. I have considerably simplified the pm ride to aid .gpx navigation , but less interesting,  in lanes that are less likely to be adversely impacted from the storms. There is (unusually for me) no off-road.

The pm ride to tea at Denbies (into the wind) is a flattish 18 miles, heading South to Smallfield, north to Redhill Airodrome and west to Dorking.

There will be one moderately paced group and two quicker ones (thanks Ged and Brian).

Please email me at dlferrett@hotmail.com by Monday 7pm to register for the ride. I will circulate runners and riders on Tuesday.


No comments: