Saturday, August 15, 2020

A Group Ride 19 August

 

Next Wednesday’s ride from Caterham will be our first post-lockdown ride to leave from a day centre, the renamed Westway Community Café & Wellbeing Centre in Caterham on the Hill. We will be using the garden as far as possible, but please be prepared sign in and to wear a face covering when inside the centre. I am sure you will also remember our current ride guidelines.

As with all Caterham rides there will be hills, but there will also be variety, taking in the North Downs, Pilgrim’s Way, the Weald, and finally descending into the Low Weald. 22 miles and 1,500ft of climbing in the morning. We will be lunching at The Castle Inn at Chiddingstone, last visited by the Wayfarers in 2012 under the captaincy of Jeff Tollerman.

Attractions include Larkin’s Ales from the brewery nearby, and Chiddingstone Castle next-door, which houses a unique (outside of Japan) collection of Japanese Art & Artifacts.

After lunch please be prepared for more climbing as we will be returning to tea at Pistachios in the Park at Banstead. 25 miles and 1,700ft climbing, but for most people it will be downhill home.

If you would like to join me please email d.vine207@btinternet.com by 6pm on Monday.

5 comments:

Mike Morley said...

Hi, I will join all for 11's at Caterham if not raining but will then go home and not participate in the lunch/tea ride!

Jeff said...

I well remember the ride (15 August). I seem to recall Dave having a puncture. It was wet. Please ask if they are still holding the drenched cycling cap that I left behind on the bench. Good cycling country. We do not often enough venture into Kent. Have a look at the Chiding Stone.
Jeff

Ged Lawrenson said...

Thanks for the memory. Dave's puncture misfortune in Aug. 2012 was captured in a photo on the blog - my assistance merely seems to consist of a helping-hand resting on his tyre!

Dave Vine said...

Jeff, such is the effect of a good ride in company that I had not associated the puncture with your ride, and I had completeely forgotten the rain. And yes Jeff your cap is still hanging over the fireplace in the bar 8 years later. I would bring it back but I fear it's not quite dry yet.
And Ged, I recall the puncture now, a massive hole excavated by a flint in a Marathon Plus. Given the robustness of the tyre I suspect your help in getting it back on was considerable. The tyre gave no more problems despite a 1/4 inch hole, and was retired 2 years later only because of tired-looking sidewalls.

Jeff said...

Correction: I think it was not raining. That was another occasion - might have been the recce.