Friday, November 13, 2020

Greenwich solo ride 12th November

 Because it was quiet on the roads I thought I would follow a lovely route to Greenwich which A and B riders completed in March 2018. Unsurprisingly, I couldn't remember anything about the route and so it was I set out with a sandwich to rediscover. Starting at North Cheam the way was quiet, going across Sutton High Street and then to Carshalton, going through Beddington Park and then past Waddon Ponds. Then Croydon, South Norwood to Crystal Palace, round the park through Penge and Catford, Lewisham and Blackheath to Greenwich. The journey sounds difficult by car, but, by bike the route was leafy and quiet with little or no traffic.




It was impressive the number of families out walking and cycling which limited my overall speed to 10 mph! It was noticeable how many old cycles were being used, so that I was itching to get my spanners out and do some adjustments, but no, I managed to restrain myself and simply admire the pluck displayed by my fellow road users. I took note also of the number of high tech electric scooters whizzing around at speed on tiny wheels in the parks and on the roads. The riders have no helmets and not effective brakes so will be a large casualty statistic in the future. They are very quick and so yet another danger to watch out for while riding!

My return route was just as delightful. Deptford, Brockley, Dulwich Park through Brixton and Tooting and finally Wimbledon, Merton Park, Lower Morden (where I was born) and Worcester Park then home. I am always amazed at how much green space you cycle through in what is really a congested conurbation, but thankfully at the present time most vehicles are parked in tunnels lining the roads rather than blocking them up by drivers actually trying to use them!

2 comments:

Simon L said...

Thanks for posting Steve.
You never did say whether you rediscovered your sandwich!

Brian Bent said...

Great picture Steve --the stream/river/lake ?,but where is it ? I would like to know as it would make a great painting--Brian Bent