Friday, November 27, 2020

How not to recce in Lockdown

 I thought I'd make an early start planning my ride from Weybridge on 16th December. Bad idea! Cafes were closed - including my planned pit-stop at the Hogs Back Manor Farm cafe, Seale. The same with pubs: it was far too soon to be checking-out beer gardens on the day Tier 2 was announced. Something to do with the 3rd December. I should have waited!

No coffee and cakes today!

My planned route was based on a ride I led from Addlestone to Puttenham and Leatherhead in March 2018, with two legs loaded into Garmin. The Garmin took me to Seale then went to sleep - and couldn't be roused. (And also lost my day's activity). Still I had a trusty OS map to get me to the other side of Guildford.

I met two interesting characters on the ride. The Dancing Queen - waiting for the 'phone-box to ring at Compton.

 The Dancing Queen, with phone-box glitter ball.

The second was a poacher! He was ambling along a quiet country lane  - Stakescorner Road near Loseley Park, Littleton, and kindly agreed to pose for a photo. We had a chat.


Rabbiting poacher.

The two rabbits (dead) were for his supper - caught with the aid of a device in a box slung across his shoulder. (Dave F. - any idea what's in the box?). The air holes provide a clue. (Answer below). He lent on his rabbiting spade as we chatted. 

I finally got a bite to eat - after 28miles, at the Snooty Fox, Shalford, and felt sufficiently fortified to climb Coombe on the way back to Leatherhead.

There's time to refine my route - and find pit-stops open, before asking for co-leaders. It will be alright on the night!

And as for key dates - on 24th November 2010 I joined my first Wayfarers ride from Teddington. With Cobham RBL closed, I'll bring some cookies for Wednesday's elevenses for my group bubble to help celebrate my 10years a Wayfarer.

(Answer - a ferret).



No comments: