Wednesday, November 25, 2020

The Northern Heights Expedition

 

Alexandra Palace had been on my to-do list for a while, and as Hans went there a couple of weeks ago, it seemed a suitable lockdown trip. Nothing like as high as Leith Hill, but with several climbs to get there, starting with Primrose Hill it was sufficient of a challenge to keep warm on a November day. Apparently these hills are called the “Northern Heights”.

Paul James agreed to accompany me, with enthusiasm remarkably undimmed after I belatedly told him my route took in Swains Lane, described by The Cyclist as “the toughest climb in London” and “maxing at 20% over 900 metres”. Hidden Highgate describes it as “practically vertical in places” which is the sort of remark which gets hyperbole a bad name.

Meeting on Clapham Common for coffee and crossing the river at Chelsea Bridge we were initially in familiar territory with memories of many years working, and in my case cycle commuting. An early stop at that other palace brought forth no offers of refreshments, leaving us thankful we had got ours in earlier.


 

North of Regent’s Park we were on roads I knew less well, so Paul had to put up with my occasional stops as I tried to relate where the Garmin thought I should go to what I saw on the ground.

Swains Lane was a challenge, but I think we agreed that it was unremarkable compared to any climb on the Hilly 50.


 

The final approach to Ally Pally was along a cycleway following the track of the Muswell Hill Railway, long closed, but in it’s time the shortest railway in the country.  It offers spectacular views across London to the south from a viaduct over the suburban streets below. 


 

Similar views could be had from the palace itself, but by now we needed lunch, alfresco in the Lakeside Café, sheltering from a freshening wind.


 

After chilling even further on the descent from Ally Pally we faced a rather lengthy climb up Queens Wood to Highgate, followed by a more welcome 2 miles of sheltered descending along Parklands Walk, another former railway track, to Finsbury Park.

As we approached central London there were more segregated cycle tracks than I recall, finishing by crossing the river at Blackfriars, which is now totally segregated, and heading west to Clapham Common. There we went our separate ways, in good time to get home before dark.

My thanks to Paul for his patient company, not to mention his photos.

 

1 comment:

Tony said...

We did Swains lane on my London ride about 5 years ago, Frank Cubis was the first up.