Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Good to be back!!

 It was good to catch up with some happy smiling Wayfarers  after my absence for the past 3 months while I  concentrated on my first and only marathon!! The opportunity to run the London Marathon was too strong to resist even if my body kept telling me otherwise!!

Below is a mini summary of the pain and the glory ... and an opportunity to donate to an excellent cause that is probably close to many of our hearts and other regions. 

I am looking forward to more rides with the Wayfarers!!

... and if you would like to donate  it's not too late. 

Best wishes. Mike

I wrote this the day after the marathon....


Well that was some day yesterday!!

It was a great experience and all was going well.  ... I got to halfway in 2 hrs 15 and got to 15 miles and was feeling fine ...

and then my achilles gave up and decided it had finished for the day!! I knew I had been pushing my luck for the past couple of months but what a day to let me down!!

Sadly I couldn't run any further but I didn't quit... I shuffled and walked my way around the 11 miles to the finish line.  The support from the crowd was amazing. It was both humbling and embarrassing to have my name on my shirt but I know that running in my Prostate Cancer UK shirt got me a lot of encouragement and sympathy!! 

I crossed the line in just over 5hrs 30. Running doesn't always go the way you hope or plan but that's life!!

Would I do it again? Absolutely not, it was a great day but I will be a spectator or volunteer from now on!!. 

If I had a wound I am afraid I rubbed salt in it. I sat on the grass at the end of the event ... took off my medal and changed my shirt and after about 20 minutes moved about 5 metres up the bank to get back into the sun. ... and when I eventually got up to leave I couldn't find my finishers medal anywhere!!  .. Maybe I left it where I was sitting first of all, maybe someone picked it up... and I wasn't allowed a second medal... I told you it was some day!!


Sent: Monday, 19 September 2022 at 15:16:47 BST
Subject: Mike Barrett running the London Marathon.

Hi All 

As many of you may (or may not!!) know, I am running the London Marathon on October 2nd.  I suspect I will be feeling very tired and aching a lot two weeks from today!!

I have never run a marathon before but have been inspired to do so for a number of reasons, not the least of which is to raise funds for Prostate Cancer UK.

My training for the past few months has not been without a few setbacks including a niggling achilles injury (that prevented me from running what would have been my final long run before the event yesterday) ... and a lot of self doubt!! I am very grateful to those who have helped and supported and encouraged and advised me to get me to where I am today!!

Unfortunately, today, I am back to the ice pack and a day of rest ... but I have an inspirational neighbour named Kevin Webber, who has raised huge sums for PCUK, and he has said he will run a slowish half marathon with me tomorrow if my achilles can take it.  ... and trust me, I don't intend quitting at this stage!!

If you would like to support me in my challenge and quest to raise funds for Prostate Cancer UK, please donate to my Just Giving page if you are able to do so. The link is below.

... and if you would like to share my page with your friends, family and colleagues that would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks and best wishes.  ... and it would be great to hear from you if I haven't heard from you for a while!!

Take care.

Mike







No comments: