Monday, March 20, 2017

It could have been worse ... part 2

You may remember a blog I posted on 4 September last year, it was about Tony Ditalia and I being knocked of by a car door simultaneously.
Well, this is the end of the story. On 8 December the driver was prosecuted by the police and fined £440 with £129 costs. No mention of any points.
Immediately after the accident I approached Slater and Gordon through the CTC and the solicitor, Natalie Grant, who dealt with me was exemplary. I have just been awarded £1,800. Not quite the £5 million I told some of you that I was expecting, but very welcome nonetheless.
PS You may be interested to learn that there is a relatively new offence "Opening Door to Danger" which was introduced after a chap got off a manslaughter charge having killed a cyclist with his car door because he "wasn't driving"!

1 comment:

mike morley said...

Well done Bernard, doesn't sound like much compensation but at least the police took action and you got a settlement quite quickly unlike my case in 1996 when I nearly got killed by a young lady motorist who misjudged my speed and got away Scot free with just a warning from the MET. The settlement took 6 years with Barristers involved and all paid for by the CTC. I doubt that I would have had the financial/mental will to pursue the case that long without the invaluable help of the CTC insurance-well worth every penny.