Friday, July 27, 2018

Down Again



In the current hot weather I've been waking early, and the other morning I took advantage of the (relative) cool of the day for a ride. Train from East Croydon, breakfast at one of Brighton's many pleasant cafes, then up past the race-course on to the Downs.


The riding is spectacular, and the conditions make it easy.  I mainly followed the South Downs Way, following the ridge with views of Sussex to one side and the sea to the other.  Each bit of ridge drops you down to a valley, so there's a fair bit of climbing.


No problem at first, but more trying as the temperature rose.  Coffee stop at Alfriston, where I was too early for the Smugglers Inn, but the ladies at the nearby cafe were solicitous of a lone cyclist on a hot day, bringing me cold drinks, filling my bottle and sternly warning me to keep hydrated.


Climbing Windover Hill was very hot indeed.  No breeze at all, and the path passed through some chalky hollows that reflected the sun.  My gps showed 38c, and may well have been right.  Time to go home.

Over the top to Eastbourne, next train in five minutes, welcome air-conditioning and home for lunch.  



The Summer of 2018.

Mark





2 comments:

Simon L said...

It looks lovely Mark. Thanks for writing it up for all our enjoyment.

Ged Lawrenson said...

When train and bike works it’s great to get to and from the choicest off-road rides:pity the poor commuters into the city from Brighton & Eastbourne.
Watch this space for a bit of gravel from Cobham on Weds.!