Saturday, July 21, 2018

Grovel Friday 20 July 2018

Excuse me Mark for making some observations on your suggestion of a welcome and anticipated scenic short-cut to Arundel. I managed to find the path, starting at an old bridge over the Arun. See pic.1. I made it along dry grass to the first kissing gate which was a challenge. The next field I could not believe it was water logged full of cow dung and my cycling shoes almost departed my foot more that once by being sucked into the mud! The next challenge was a bridge with a bar across it which I had a struggle to lift my Cube over being now in a more depleted state. See pic.2. the way forward seemed to be through Jungle see pic.3. Then to cap it all the roots appeared see pic.5. Then there was a series of elevated wooden tracks with a hand rail on one side but very tricky to ride on an MTB with wide bars. Furthermore the gaps between the planks were too dangerous for narrow road wheels but OK for MTB slicks. See Pic.4. These were ideal for walkers but very tricky for cyclists.
The challenge then continued as I carried on towards Arundel. The path was completely root infested and I found it impossible to stay mounted fearing a fall and further damage to my right hip complete with 3 long screws. I have to say Mark I must congratulate you for riding this path but I would caution others to be very wary before trying. You definitely in my mind need nobly wide tyres at a softer pressure.






1 comment:

Mark G said...

Nails ride, Mike, but I think you may have been on the wrong path. It's only about 100 yards from North Stoke to South Stoke.