Monday, July 30, 2018

Prudential 100 2018

Well Ged I tried to look at the split times on your link and somehow it would not let me in? Something about clicking on + which I could not find. Any way I would be interested if you could copy and paste to me.
Meanwhile I found it very hard in the wet and what became very cold with all the holdups. Most of all I was appalled as like last year the feed stations had run out of food. I commented to a young helper at 1.30pm Newlands corner and his reply was that he had been there since 7am.
I have never seen so many riders with punctures, Continental Tyres must have been doing a roaring trade, hundreds of inner tubes were left lying in the verges. Thankfully I did not have a puncture.
The best part of the weekend was the signing on on Saturday. I watched the T de F TT on the big screen at EXEL to be led to believe that Froome won only to find out later he lost by 2 ? secs that stage of the TDF.
I listened to pep talks by Martin Johnson and Denise Lewis who both rode on Sunday, Denise doing the 49 mile. See photos below with me in my St. Raphael's top but last years number on my helmet.
Maybe I was fortunate I did Leith Hill, probably one of the last. Perhaps because of my enforced training on Marks Gravel ride I found Leith Hill less of a challenge than normal perhaps because I was on my own at my own pace, 3.2mph. At Box Hill got diverted strait to Leatherhead. That was also appalling, we did not move for over half an hour shivering in the cold and wet. When I eventually got into the HUB again no food left. I was so disappointing not to do Box Hill as I was really up for it.
Will I do it again for a 6th year, not unless I can get an 8am start which should be possible. Apart from Ged I saw no one en-route or cheering but I did chat to lots of lovely lady participants that kept me going, so good to be among young, fit & like minded people.



2 comments:

Ged Lawrenson said...

Mike - click on your name to get your splits.

Steph said...

Well done to all. I was out cheering at Leatherhead and the bottom of Box Hill and then later at the bottom of Wimbledon Hill. A really drenching day cold winds so really exceptional for riders to have got through it all. Did meet a fallen rider on the train back from Leatherhead who had skidded off in the wet on the bend at Leatherhead ... as many others did.