Thursday, July 29, 2021

A ride 28th July

It was a select band of 15 that met in Brockham for coffee. I had divided us into two groups - a faster group of eight led by Steve Duffin and a second group of seven leaving ten nimutes later. The weather forecast suggested we might be lucky to stay dry but that hadn't put anyone off.

Steve Duffin's report:

Frances, Ged, Patrick, Dave B, Mike, Neil W,Steve W and myself set off at 10.40 am as the first group of two. The weather was suspect and by the time we reached Rusper the rain had started. We donned our waterproofs and then as Patrick sagely commented would happen, the rain then stopped. We took off our outer jackets in the Horsham suburbs. It was just as well as the temperature soared and by the time we reached the Downs Link we were cycling in brilliant sunshine. It was unusual to lead a group of 8 and I was going a little too quickly for Frances and so I slowed down on the many hills and undulations. We reached The White Horse at 12.25 pm. We had just ordered our lunch, when ten minutes later the second group led by Brian, appeared. I met some of the over 40s cycle club honorary members having their lunch and we had a chat about the club, which I am also a member of.

Lunch was served promptly, so after coffee provided by Ged and Patrick devouring a sponge pudding with custard, we had our picture taken. Frances decided to ride with the second group which was supposed to be slower. So leading six men in their prime of fitness I set a faster pace. After circling Hammer Pond we tackled the long 3 mile ascent from Buck's Green to Colgate and then a fast descent down Tower Road to Faygate. Then a fast pace to Lamb's Green and on Root Hill and Pixham Lane to tea at Denbies. We all agreed we had set a fast pace arriving at 3.20 pm. Then ten minutes ( Editor's note - selective memory here. See my report below!) later the second group arrived! After tea we went our separate ways and at Leatherhead on the way home the rain fell down until I got home.

I only missed one turn on this ride, but I feel I let down Frances, as I set a too fast pace to Maplehurst. Normally with a small group, provided I can see them in my mirror I know the pace is OK, but with eight riders it becomes more difficult to monitor, because you cannot see everyone in the group, or how they are faring. I think in future I will check out those who are lagging behind, for whatever reason and then move them to the position behind me so I can more easily monitor the correct pace to set. When you Hike you always walk at the pace of the slowest and I think I will try to adopt the same policy leading in future. It is hill climbing that tests everyone, but if you go up quickly and then descend quickly you end up leaving riders behind, which is not cool. I am still learning to lead as you see and perhaps one day I will complete a ride without error.

Thanks go to Dave Bartholomew for back marking and of course to Brian for a well thought out route and different pub choice. Mostly a dry ride which dodged the rain despite the forecast. A ride to remember for a sunny summer's day.
 


 Brian's report

In the search for leaders David Jackson had volunteered to lead a slower group from the gpx. He was ready to do this on the day as it suited our group and so I happily settled into the role of back marker. 
Our group of David, Jennie, Dave W, Dave F, Sue, Gina and myself set off at 1050. David set a steady pace which kept the group together and we arrived at the pub about 1245. Half a gale was blowing through the rear garden and Steve's group were settled into the conservatory. We found sheltered tables at the front of the pub and enjoyed a very good lunch. Dave W headed off to Horsham for the train and was replaced by Frances who had decided that our pace might be more comfortable. My thanks to David for leading. 
 
PS: Steve's clock must slow down when he stops as we didn't arrive anywhere "only 10 minutes" after the first group. We got back to Denbies at 3.45.

David Jackson wrote
My group of riders were a party of seven, including Brian who had done the leg work in creating the route. The first and last quarters of the ride were along very familiar roads to and from the Rusper area whilst the mid sections were enjoyable, interesting and challenging, a really good undulating route.
 
The pub, which Brian had remembered from many years ago was in the main part efficient and friendly, exactly what you imagine a country pub to be.
 
We managed somehow to avoid the rain apart from one five-minute spell, and for the most part were home before the deluge that came later.
 
An incident free ride at a steady pace ended with four of us having tea at Denbies where we were joined by Martin from his ride with the B’s.
Thanks so much to the group for a great day out.



No comments: