Tuesday, July 20, 2021

The Lord of the Rings

 Every summer, we get a few hot days.  They usually happen in July - the 25th is a favourite - and I usually take advantage of them to ride the high trackways of Kent, Surrey and Sussex.  The recent spell of hot weather has allowed me to do a ride that joins some of the Iron Age hill forts that are along the ridges of the North and South Downs.

As is always best on a hot day, I made an early start, and caught the first train of the morning to Holmwood.  From here I rode up Moorhurst Lane, just up from the station, which becomes a fairly rough track leading to the Anstiebury Hill Fort.  We've passed this many times. It's on the corner of Anstie Lane and the top of Coldharbour Lane.  I can't recall anyone mentioning it, and it's not that surprising.  The Hill Fort sits on private land, as far as I can see there's no public access, and it's very overgrown.  It looks rather unloved.


But it's a fairly fancy hill fort, quite large, and in a very good spot.  You have a line of sight up the Mole Gap, along the North Downs, and you can see right across the Weald to the Chanctonbury Ring.  Quite a strategic position.

Having gathered my first ring I went around the corner and up Leith Hill, and was pleased to see that work still seems to being done on the Greenway, though there's still a fair bit to do.

Easily up to the top, now that I know the way, and I stopped to take a look at my second ring - the Chanctonbury Ring, just visible in the morning mist.


Down the other side to Starveall, down to Mole Street, Ellen's Green, Cox Green and on to the Downsway.  This is much improved, particularly once you get in to West Sussex, and I had a good, sunny, dusty run from the North Downs to the South Downs.  Salaams to the ice cream shop at Partridge Green, and then a glimpse of the Chanctonbury Ring from a cornfield.


Not too far now, and time for a bottle of ginger beer and a piece of walnut cake at the Steyning Tea Room.



I climbed up to the South Downs Way by Steyning Bostal.  It's not too bad, as bostals go, Brighton Excelsior run a hill climb there.  But it's still a bit of a pull without a motor, and I remember old Mike Morley puffing and blowing on it a few years ago.

Along the South Downs Way for a couple of miles, and there it was - the Chanctonbury Ring.


Now you might think that, if you can see the Chanctonbury Ring from Leith Hill, then you would be able to see Leith Hill from the Chanctonbury Ring.  I'm sure you can, in suitable conditions, but you couldn't this morning.  The heat haze was up and you couldn't see very far at all.  But I had my second ring, and turned South for the third.

This was the Cissbury Ring, and it's a National Trust Ring, with many of the charms of, say, Box Hill.  There's a car-park, there are signs, there are wardens, and it's busy. Not my kind of ring, so I slipped by on the East side on a bridleway, and just as at Box Hill, the crowds vanished.  

A pleasant, quiet run down to Worthing, five minutes to wait for a train and I was in East Croydon an hour or so later, and home in time for lunch.

Here's the route and the stats, I found it to be a pleasant and easy run.  However, I did use a powerful e-bike and it used quite a lot of battery, so it might be harder work if you're self powered.  It certainly makes a good day out with almost no traffic and some lovely scenery.



If anyone's interested, here's the gpx - The Lord of the Rings.

Mark












2 comments:

Steph said...

Chanctonbury Ring ..even the name is a bit magical. Found this very interesting having always had it pointed out to me from the N Downs but never ridden up from Steyning to see it. The Steyning T shop is also an attraction.

Dave Vine said...

Mark, a most interesting ride. I never realised Anstiebury was there, even after passing it dozens of times. And it's huge. As you say a strategic position. Must have been a candidate for Top Fort in it's day.