Thursday, October 14, 2021

Fastish 'A' group Freewheeling , Rusper, Horsham

With a 9:10am early start at Epsom Downs it was a cool ride to the start. We were not expecting Patrick because of his close encounter of the Kia kind. As we were discussing my group leaving a bit early there he was - Patrick loves these rides - it takes more than a dislocated finger to keep him away! It was good to find out that Steve D had fully recovered, and Janice mostly better from strains. 

Our group was Mike R., Hans, Dave B., Marcus, Patrick, Steve W., Mark, Steve D., and Peter. One of our group wanted to go not too fast, which I think I properly complied with for at least the first mile. We rode Tadworth, Walton on the Hill, Pebble Hill, then after a short way took a right up Sandy Lane. This was a great solution to the bad roads Janice and I found on the recce. The group seemed to keep up well so we pressed on. We covered the 20.8 miles to Brockham at an average 16.9mph, the group was mostly happy with this, (sorry Hans and others for my bad lead at the Brockham red traffic light). 

After the coffee break it was off to the top of Root Hill. 


I thought I was in with a chance having a big weight 'advantage' for this but the evidence is: greater mass does NOT win out over a long freewheel when the gradient becomes near flat. Patrick did well, but the awards, given at Brockham Green, went to Sue C. and well done Marcus for getting runner up.
We adjusted the groups a bit, Ged joined us. After a while at a T-junction I wasn't sure if all were up so I went across opposite the T-junction to a nicely concreted area of a farm entrance. As I wheeled round to see if all were up I had gone off the concrete and fell as the wheels slid out  (I like to think a graceful fall). Patrick had the sense to say I needed to check the bike properly, and I found a problem with the chain, soon after I found it was due to a bent outer chain-ring, unusable.

The group were good about my limited pace using the small chainring, after a while we passed a garage and I dropped off there to seek help, the others went on. It was a bit like the Monty Python cheese emporium. The sign said they serviced cars, motorbikes and bikes. I showed the problem, the mechanic said sorry he didn't have the tools for it. I asked for a wrench, (sorry mate, don't have one), pliars (sorry, no) spanner (what size -> small -> no). It isn't really much of a garage then is it? Finest garage in the area sir. And what leads you to that conclusion. Well, it so tidy. It's certainly uncluttered by tools. He let me have a hammer. Said he couldn't watch this, turned away. Two deft knocks and it was running nicely, nearly perfect.    

At Rusper the pub provided great service, including a workbench for Mike to try and fix a gear problem. 



We continued with great sunny conditions, penetrating Horsham, then promptly turning back. Just as on the recce the Garmin did not prompt a left turn off the dual carriage way, but I remembered it as Janice had said to look out for the rather good pub named the Frog and Nightgown along the lane from that turn. All good going back, except later on Dave B. got cramp, thanks Ged for backmarking and sticking with Dave. We finished with Box Hill, and Destination Bikes. To my taste their coffee is the best, better than any of our regular venues, and very good snack slices too.   

Many thanks Janice, excellent route, planning, lunch venue and after a forecast of it being overcast all day we had a great bonus of good sunny weather, you excelled again.

No comments: