Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Eric Ashford RIP 21 Oct 1922 - 23 May 2017

Though I did not know Eric so well I remember him from the Dieppe Raid along with son Tony who was very friendly with Caroline Street the organizer.
I decided to go along on my bike to the ceremonies to mark his passing and was quite surprised that I was the only one in cycling gear, unlike Pete Mitchell and Frank Cubis funeral.
Firstly there was a service at All Saints Church Kenley near where he lived for many years. This was followed by internment at Greenlawn Memorial Park Warlingham, where Eric was buried with his wife Joan, followed by a splendid wake with lovely food at the Harrow Inn Farleigh which was apparently one of Eric's favorite pubs for lunch.
Fittingly Tony told me that a number of Eric's many Dieppe Trophies were placed in his coffin where he now lies at rest with Joan.
Mary one of his daughters displayed a slide show on her laptop at the pub and as I watched the slides roll I recognized the Avenue de Vert and many other familiar sites of my time on the Dieppe Raid. Also Terry Lowe and Brian Greenwood featured.
I had not realized that Eric was a navigator and bomb aimer on Lancaster Bombers in the second world war. He was shot down over France parachuting to safety and landing in a tree thus becoming a member Caterpillar Brigade. A memorial of the site is still there. He was captured by the Germans and spent the rest of the war in a prison camp in Poland.
I took a number of pictures which I will pass on to Tony but meanwhile here is the front cover of order of service and part of the church service.



No comments: