Thursday, May 06, 2021

A Group Ride Report 5th May Cobham to Englefield Green

 David Ward led the first six riders to leave at 10.30 and this was his report.

"I thought 'callow' meant something like 'mellow', so on returning home I checked in the dictionary. In fact it means 'inexperienced or raw'. That explains a lot. Callow Hill is certainly a climb which could do with being smoothed out a bit! Garmin was telling me it was a 10% gradient near the top! Anyway that hill was the low point of our group's ride (if you see what I mean) and it wasn't that bad really. Mike, Ged, Janice, Steve W and Dave B joined me for Steve's ride and we set off punctually from Cobham. They were a great group to lead and there were no problems and hardly any stops. In fact I couldn't shake them off! After surmounting the dreaded Callow Hill we arrived at the Rose and Olive Branch at 11.50 and someone immediately came out to greet us and direct us to our tables. Service was efficient and friendly, prices reasonable and portions decent in size. I'd certainly recommend it and I hope we visit it again later in the year.

Ominous clouds started to gather as we ate our lunches, so we hastened to set off for the ride home as soon as we could at 12.40. In fact the clouds quickly dispersed as we headed back east and we started to feel stupidly hot in the rain gear we had donned in anticipation of the worst! Anyway, we persevered (or should it be 'perspired') and arrived at 'Dish' at Hampton Court comfortably before 2.00. (Is this a record?) We enjoyed our drinks in the sunshine then set off our separate ways. I had been home for an hour or so before I saw any rain and I hope everyone else managed to dodge the showers too!

Many thanks to Steve D for masterminding this ride and reviving today's excellent route and to the rest of my group for your company".


Neil Crocker was next to leave and his group had no problems when I saw them leave at lunchtime.

Dave Vine was next to set off and he sent a report.


"A brief report from me. Everyone in my group commented on what an excellent route it was and from a leader's perspective it flowed very well, with minimal tricky bits. Our ride to lunch was uneventful, though
 I think everyone was relieved when we turned north out of the headwind. On the canal bank the heron had not moved since Monday; either it was a good spot for fishing or he was getting very hungry.

Lunches were served most promptly and with a smile, and the ale, I'm told was good.




The route back was straightforward and showed me yet another way home from Staines. Tea at the Pheasantry was curtailed by the feel of rain in the air. For me, luckily, the rain only started as I stepped through my front door. I hope everyone was as fortunate.

Thanks to Simon for back marking and for the photo and to everyone for their company; such a nice day out".

Finally my group was the last to leave at 11.15, but not the least.


We made good time especially since we passed a pedestrian on the Basingstoke Canal path and inhaled a veritable cloud of some "herbal cigarette" he had been smoking. After that the ride took on a new dimension.


We even stopped to admire a strange Gosling peloton.


Like the other groups we were served efficiently and promptly at the pub arriving at 12.40. We took our time and left for the Pheasantry tea stop before going on home to miss the rain which for me didn't amount to more than a sprinkle. Thanks to Dave Jackson for back marking and to the 21 riders who came out despite weather warnings of hail. Thanks to the pub staff also who followed my lunch order spread sheet without problem and even sorting out some off menu requests, while preparing everything on time. 

Thanks also to Dave Vine, Dave Ward and Neil Crocker for their help and experience in leading so that we all had a sunny day cycling without incident. We need more leaders and by helping to lead a group you can learn so much from our existing leadership who have a vast wealth of knowledge to help you.

Steve D.


1 comment:

Neil C said...

My report to Steve was a couple of hours late. I expected him to edit it in but here it is for completeness.

"Steve had provided me with a well-crafted route, an eager team, and a good pub for lunch so the ride went smoothly throughout.

He thoughtfully gave us a hill just before lunch to warm us up, and another short rise just after to remind the legs to start working again. Except for a section through Staines the roads were remarkably quiet and swift progress was made. So swift that we were back in Bushy Park by two o'clock.

Tea venues were discussed but with rain forecast we all agreed to head for home. Fiona and Trevor because they didn't have far to go, Brian and Dave F because they had a long way to go, and me because I had another pub to visit later.

Thanks to Steve for the organising, Fiona for back-marking and everyone for a grand day out."