Tuesday, March 29, 2022

The Basingstoke Canal

 I am planning to ride the length of the Basingstoke Canal in late April and I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on what to expect? I am familiar with the route from New Haw to Brookwood, but I am looking for is some advice on what the riding conditions and suitability of the tow path past Brookwood are? I know that in the past that the canal towpath fell away around Deepcut, has this been rebuilt? That the other end of the canal should be rideable from the A331onwards to Greywell? But not a lot more has come to light on the up to date conditions, ether on the internet or from talking to people. 

So if you have any info that would help, could you please contact me via email,  ryoulden1@gmail.com 

Ray Youlden

1 comment:

Simon L said...

I've ridden it to Farnham, on a gorgeous Autumn morning with reflections of autumn colours in the canal. It is not surfaced after the bit which is (just after Basingstoke?) but definitely rideable if you don't mind lumpy surface. After rain, it might be a different matter. I think I came back along the Christmaspie trail, which was being dug up at the time, so rather challenging, but that was several years ago. Let me know if you want to know more.
Simon