Friday, March 27, 2020

Exploring Chobham Common


I set off with the wind at my back towards Chobham today.   Had a nose around the Longcross Estate, but the only interesting point was the number of security guards there!   They were very helpful in telling me where I could/could not go, but most of the bridlepaths were a bit too lumpy from horse traffic.   As I approached the M3 along Longcross Road, I decided to turn into Chobham Common, somewhere I'd never explored before.   It's vast!   Plenty of paths and bridleways to explore, a few mild hills or level routes if you choose, and all pretty dry and rideable.   Hardly any people around (probably because the car parks are closed).   Rather unexpectedly, I emerged on Gracious Pond Road.   Went up Steep Hill, just for the hill of it, and had a very nice meal in the sun at Windlesham.   Not in The Sun, just outside it, as it was closed, but still very pleasant place to idle away a few munches of lunch.


Returned along the Basingstoke Canal, which was empty of water and mostly empty of people too.   Those that I did pass were extremely courteous, I just went up behind them and coughed politely to let them know I was there - they couldn't get out of my way quickly enough!


No comments: