Friday, March 27, 2020

Quiet Surrey ride


Ranmore from route N22

Lake at Friday Street

Waterfall near Broadmoor

Boxhill viewed from Cotmandene

Protecting the cockerel

Having decided to head westish from Dorking initially I chose route N22 rather than the A25 and UP Coast Hill. This took me past Milton Court farm, now run by knowledgable, friendly, helpful farmer Hugh 'Bertie' Broom. His great grandfather came up by train from Devon in 1897 with his stock and they were milked in Westcott the same evening.

I rejoined the road just south of the railway bridge at the foot of Whitedown. Fifty or so years ago the 'road' over the bridge was old wooden railway sleepers. One wet Sunday afternoon Sally was in charge of my 500cc Triumph motorcycle and I was back seat person. Wet wooden sleepers don't offer much grip, we slowly, gracefully (?) slid to ground with no harm done to bike. (Nor to us).

I crossed the quiet A25, passed the Abinger Hatch where the Bs had a good lunch recently, then wound my way eastish passing near the Stephan Langton. Turning off Sheephouse Lane then down a 1 in 8 led to the unsignposted waterfall (must be approached on foot - not a problem). It is not a through road so you have to return UP the short 1 in 8. There were a few cars parked near Leith Hill in the few open car parks but I had a very pleasant, quiet ride to Coldharbour and Dorking. The view from the Dene (Cotmandene) was good, my final photograph shows how Dorking folk care !

A very pleasant, quiet, almost traffic-free morning ride in ideal weather.

Terry

1 comment:

Tim C said...

Great ride and great photos. That really is quite a rooster, and a very responsible one too!