Sunday, March 29, 2020

Local solo ride

Reward for the climb
After reading the updated advice from Cycling UK, with some regret, I decided to stay local for today's ride.    There are only a few hills near home, so I found several variations of ascending Richmond hill, which gave me 300m of climbing in less than ten miles.

On the gate to Richmond Park
I felt that I had done my hill-climbing so wandered off towards Ham, where the road was closed for invisible toads, and then via Kingston Gate of Richmond Park (with nobody stopping cyclists entering as far as I could see, unlike Richmond gate where there was a policewoman).  I was trying to circle around home without getting too far away, so ended up going past Tim's house (I waved to you Tim), through Berrylands,  Surbiton, Hinchley Wood and along the track from the bottom of Sandown Park to Hersham station.   All of this was very pleasant, but I hadn't realised how much the wind had been helping me until I turned for home, and struggled back via Hampton Court and Bushy Park, still open to cyclists and fairly quiet.    I saw no toads, but did see a lot of ambulances on the road.   Stay safe, everyone!

No comments: