Friday, March 27, 2020

Solo Rural Riding in North Pembrokeshire.

Our trip to Spain was scuppered. We still decided to have a week away - renting a cottage in Newport, Pembrokeshire, a family favourite over the years. And, having often ridden on familiar roads, little ride-planning was needed. (Handy, as my Garmin was playing-up!). I took my Airnimal; it packs easily, is low-geared for the hills, and is comfortable with rough country lanes.

The weekend lockdown kicked-in a few days after arriving. I was used to solo riding here, so being ‘Billy-no-mates’ wasn’t unusual. Newport is on the coast, with Carnigli and the Presili Hills a formidable backdrop. The O.S. is peppered with single chevrons - with doubles not uncommon. It makes for challenging riding, no matter which direction. (SUSTRANS 82, Bangor to Fishguard, features the climb out of Newport).

My first, shortish ride, was the climb up to Carnigli, a fast descent to the steep-sided Gwaun Valley to the tiny hamlet of Cilgwyn, then back through New England to Newport. Lambs bleating in the fields was the  recurring cycling soundtrack.

My next ride was longer - a hilly circuit of 32 miles, with 3,600ft of ascent. It was a chilly early start in brilliant sunshine and blue skies. The lanes were empty. I was the lone solo-cyclist. The landscape here contains many Neolithic and Bronze Age standing stones and stone circles - to stop and explore next time. Daffodils lined the verges alongside cottages.
My third ride took me north across the iron bridge spanning the River
 Nevern, overlooking Newport Sands, past the oddly named Gethsemane, and eventually back clockwise along the Gwaun Valley. I left the valley floor with the initial 20% climb up to Bedd Morris. (My Strava segment indicated 1.8 miles of ascent, 672ft., taking 18 minutes, at an average speed of 6.3mph. Not too bad for someone now in the ‘vulnerable age group’, considering the fastest on the Leader Board this year was 18 minutes).

I finished my solo riding with a mid-afternoon spin along the ridge between Newport and Moylgrove, skirting Carnigli. A week of dry, sunny weather seemed to have greatly increased farming activity.





Descent on the first ride, ascent later.

A return to urban solo cycling for me next week.


1 comment:

Tim C said...

Lovely ride but you're probably banned from going so far from home now. What is it with Garmins? Janice reported funny goings on with hers too. They seem to have independent opinions about where you want to go. Although Memory-Map has no navigational intelligence that I have ever bothered to use, it leaves me in full control to follow or deviate from the routes I've devised.