Sunday, May 10, 2020

Brockham and West Horsley

On Wednesday I decided to go to Brockham for the first time since the lockdown. A rather indirect route as I went via Hurst Road to Walton on the Hill first and then down Pebble Hill to Betchworth. In Wellhouse Lane I was struck by a sight almost unchanged since Victorian painters captured such scenes to extol the pleasures of the English countryside.

Brockham was getting prepared for VE Day celebrations with much bunting in evidence and from  there I headed to North Holmwood via Tilehurst Lane. I regret I can't offer cygnets but goslings will have to do instead.
Then home through Dorking and the A24.

On Saturday I headed out to Ockham, this time using the Tilt path from Stoke D'Abernon to Downside which wasn't very busy. In Spring Reach I came across a rare rural activity. What happens to the pigs here?

At the bottom of Spring Reach I went almost straight across into Lollesworth Lane to revisit the track across to the A246 which I had used with the B group last November. Then it had a few large lakes which had to be negotiated but now it's an easy dry ride.

On the A246 I had the benefit of a tractor holding back the traffic so I stayed on it until Effingham and then home via Lower Road to Leatherhead.




2 comments:

Dave Vine said...

Nice one Brian. I didn't know about Lollesworth Lane before. Another excuse for a ride out.

Peter T said...

Hi Brian,

The following might help! There is a gas pipeline in the vicinity.

https://www.omv.com/en/blog/what-do-a-pig-and-james-bond-have-in-common