Thursday, May 21, 2020

Tri Vets revisited

Lockdown started just at the time of year that mileage would normally start to build up. Mindful of early advice to keep local and confine exercise to 1 hour rides only I did a lot of indoor rides on my turbo trainer, short local rides and eventually started riding 50ish miles (as the 1 hour limit was a suggestion only). But I was left with a yearning to do a long ride, preferably to the coast.

With glorious weather forecast and seeing on Strava several cyclists I know completing 100 mile rides I decided it was time to act. Still wary of going to the coast on my own as it’s a long way from home in the event of a mechanical or other problem I decided to have a go at the Tri Vets route. It has the benefit of being able to call it a day half way through at Brockham.

I set off early-ish and headed to Brockham cricket pavilion which was of course deserted and eerily quiet. I was missing the buzz of other Wayfarers signing in, the coffee and refreshments.


With the route loaded onto my Garmin (wonderful device when it works) I set off. The miles rolled  by and I was sustained by memories of the 2 previous events I’d taken part in. The rainy year when the road turned into a river, the lost group (Ged’s?) that we passed, the super fit man who’s name I can’t remember who decided to lead our group with fast climbs, descents and flat bits. It took longer than expected to encounter the petrol station where last year we had a pit stop so before then I’d stopped briefly to eat the bread pudding in my pocket. As there was no time pressure I decided to stop to eat to avoid sticky hands, bars and drinks bottle. Later in the ride I’d stop to eat because I needed to stop!

It was hilly, but I remembered that from previous events and was looking forward to the shorter flat afternoon (turns out I was deluded about the flat part of that statement). Half way up a hill near  Busbridge I was glad of the excuse to stop and take a photo of the biggest poppies I’ve ever seen, bigger than my 2 hands together.



Eventually I arrived back in Brockham, stopping in the village shop for water and a 4 pack of Eccles cakes, the only reasonable carb based food they had. I was missing the camaraderie of the pavilion and of course the fantastic sandwiches and homemade cakes but did at least see a familiar face on the village green. Edel, who had joined the A group for a few rides, and who knows Neil C from her 900km attempt at PBP.

67 miles (from home) and the 45 mile loop to go I set off and quickly realised on the climb up to Outwood that it was not going to be flat. I stopped to take a photo (because I needed to stop) so here’s the village sign (I’ve got too many photos of the windmill already).


At least that’s the climbing over with I thought. But no, the route continued up to Bletchingly and up further when I turned into Rabies Heath Road. By now the day was very hot and the wind was stronger than early on. The miles rolled on with fewer thoughts and memories in my head as tiredness set in and I was really glad to see Lingfield as I felt I was truly on my way back. After the climb at Horse Hill I couldn’t face another Eccles cake or cereal bar so I decided to open my tube of Bloc energy sweets and they worked a treat. 

Eventually I saw a sign for Brockham but remembered the cruelty of the route from previous years as my Garmin directed me not to take the turn, nor indeed the next one. Finally though I arrived after 115 miles and visited the village store again for another 1.5 litres of water. The view of the village green and the Downs beyond was breathtaking with the clear blue sky. 


Gritting my teeth I set off for home trying to block thoughts of the climbs ahead in Tilehurst and Punchbowl Lanes and Gimcrack Hill in Leatherhead. I was kept going on the A24 cycle path by memories of Geoff G half wheeling me on the way back last time. 

It was a long day, especially for a solo ride, and by the time I arrived home I had 129 miles and 5,581 ft at an average speed of 15.3 on the clock. The Garmin had mostly behaved, just 2 blips telling me I was off course and causing me to turn round when in fact I was on the right route. 

So all in all a good day and it got the need for a long ride out of my system. But then again the sea still beckons. Anyone for a (socially distanced) ride to the coast?

4 comments:

Neil C said...

Well done Janice. That is an impressive distance and speed at a time when so many have lost their fitness and motivation (well I have). The report really brings your ride to life.

Nice to hear you saw Edel. She only rode her first 200km audax in January last year but still went on to ride PBP. Unfortunately she got knocked off her bike by another rider after 900km and ended up in hospital before getting the train back to Paris. I last saw her there just after I finished and she was still smiling and very positive.

So you've got three years before PBP 2023.

Geoff Gregory said...

Thank you for a very honest write up, about the aches and pains, ups and downs plus the ever present Garmin blips. Thank you for the brief inclusion it was knowing you were with me that drove me on otherwise I could easily have pooled along.
Great read and reminders of times past.

Mark G said...

Good ride, Janice. That's very respectable distance and a worthy solo performance.

I remember the poppies from the recce last year - a small group of very large poppies on the cut-through to Munstead. I stopped to take a photo, too.

Ged Lawrenson said...

Very impressive, Janice. I hope you had a well-deserved rest after all that exertion - a good sit-down, on your turbo!