Sunday, May 17, 2020

Sunday in town

Trying to decide where to go for a couple of hours ride I had made up my mind late yesterday I would head into London.
Came the dawn and route thought through, trying to keep it as flat as possible out l set to Wimbledon Park, Earlsfield and Clapham, only a couple of rises but nothing of any consequence. Clapham Common north side and at Clapham Old Town saw a sign for the Q5 route, who knows where it would take me, the route was very pleasant cutting through backstreets and well signed brought me out at the Oval and then Vauxhall. A short way along the Embankment over Lambeth Bridge a right turn and into Parliament Square, up Whitehall and into Trafalgar Square.

Trafalgar Square and so quiet, looking back on my journey so far it was cyclist for most of the way either seeing them in the distance as they were going the other way or cutting across intersections, hardly a car in sight as far as this.
Leaving the square and intending to go up the Mall a missed turn and a quick turn around and there it was a straight route up to Buckingham Palace and it was so quiet, there were of course cyclists about but no noise.

 



Hard to believe that on such a nice day .

Anyway there were small groups of cyclists of all ages, so heading out of  The Mall and round Hyde Park Corner and into the park, lots of people around but OK, I followed the cycle path as far as Bayswater Road and headed for home via Holland Avenue and a left turn into Holland Road right into Hammersmith Road passing Olympia Exhibition Halls (once my place of work).
Down North End Road past Fulham Broadway into Harwood Road where I lived from 0 to 17 years. Wandsworth Bridge road and back on the route I took to start.
A great day to visit London, no traffic and finding a route I was not aware of, thanks go to other Wayfarers for putting the idea of going in this direction for a ride.
Geoff G.

1 comment:

mike morley said...

Geoff what a good write-up and a wonderful idea. Pity it's a bit far for me from Walton le Hill some 23 miles direct on main roads. Of course I can always take the Wandle etc. meandering but long winded. It's also beyond my current planned daily mileage not to over extend till my treatment is clear.
As for me I went over Box Hill and my WhatsApp on "B" group Blog tells all. Absolutely appalling and the N.T. has lost my membership for good!