Friday, May 29, 2020

Old haunts revisited

My Wednesday ride was to Walliswood. Out through Effingham and up Green Dene for the first time since lockdown ( more on this below). Then through Shere to Peaslake where I had a(n instant) coffee from the village shop.

Note the social distancing banner on the fence.

Onwards to Ewhurst and Walliswood where the Scarlett Arms ( an internally very distancing challenged pub I would think) was looking spendid in the sunshine.


From here I returned up Weare Street passing the geese at the pond ...
and on to Newdigate and Pixham to home.

Most readers will realise that I have typically been riding the Tricross during lockdown. The logic being primarily that it was very robust and with Marathon Supreme tyres less likely to puncture. The secondary reason was to put more effort into the miles I was riding to keep fit with fewer miles on a heavier bike. The only time I've enjoyed spinning was in a gym on the 32nd floor of a Tokyo hotel with a view of Mt Fuji.

So has it worked? Well although the Tricross felt quite leaden at first, recent rides have been reasonably quick, at least on the flat. So I thought it would be interesting to see how the Yukon felt on this ride. I'm not into Strava and PBs but do have a few routes where I have a good idea of whether my performannce is better or worse than normal and one of these is past the Vineries and up Green Dene. From home to the summit at Staple Lane is 10.3 miles (16.6km) with a net 130m of ascent ( about -70/+200). I can often get to the top in 46-48 minutes from home but 45 has always eluded me. There was no wind so a good day for comparison. The Vineries was passed in good time and I got to the A246 at the top of Dirtham Lane in 30 minutes for 7 miles without trying hard. So then I did put in a bit more effort while saving enough for a summit sprint and reached the junction with Staple Lane with 7 seconds to spare.

More satisfying than scientific but I was very happy with the result and the the Tricross will continue to get its fair share of training rides at least until we are back into longer club rides.

PS: I did see Mike Withers on his bike in Effingham but didn't stop for a chat this time. I'm sure he didn't see me.

No comments: