Thursday, May 28, 2020

Up on the Downs

Following my (and Vic's) preferred route to Ranmore ie up past Westhumble Chapel ruins I soon had this view of Denbies and Boxhill to stop and admire.
Denbies and Boxhill
This track leads to Ranmore (car park packed) under this Lovelace bridge (one of ten in the area) on the way to Green Dene.
Lovelace bridge

Arriving at the Combe Lane /Staple Lane junction I opted for the level, quiet track that led to Newlands Corner. Here the car park was packed (as were the rubbish bins) but I found an isolated seat with an interesting plaque on it plus a wonderful view.
Plaque on 'my' seat

Looking south from Newlands Corner
After descending on the A25 I turned right towards Albury but soon turned left and headed for Burrows Cross, just missing a train at the level crossing. For a change I decided to follow route 22 under the railway bridge but the gate was locked at the far end. Gomshall was next on my route and these fearsome creatures were to be seen opposite The Purple Penguin aka Lavender Goose (where takeaway cakes can be obtained).
Joothinktheysaurus ?
A little further on the A25 (not too bad) and I arrived at Abinger Hammer (takeaways available at the shop) for a brief stop to photograph the Abinger Hammerites enjoying the facilities.
Notice the spelling error ?

Almost on the home stretch now, down Coast Hill, just before the bottom left into Balchins Lane and pass the home of Westcott Willow Weavers.
Westcott Willow Weavers


Back on the lanes now and the end of a very pleasant morning, roads not too busy, weather warm but not too hot although much of the ride was in the shade.

No comments: