Monday, May 04, 2020

Last weeks rides

Most recent rides have headed into greener pastures from Ashtead and I had been thinking that I was neglecting the northern quadrant from home. Then John Bellamy distributed the delightful film on the history of cycling in Kingston and Surbiton so where better to go in these quiet times than the Old Portsmouth Road.

Having taken the Tricross out on my last hilly ride I defied logic last Wednesday by taking the Yukon out for this almost flat one. So out towards Cobham and up the Fairmile. Then a long blast through Esher and past the Angel in Thames Ditton to Kingston. With a following wind this was by far my fastest ride for a long time and enjoying it too much to stop to take a photo or two. The return up Cranes Park to Tolworth, then West Ewell and Epsom was a bit more convoluted and into the wind but overall still a very brisk circuit.

I thought I should continue the theme on Saturday with a visit to Ripley though even with much reduced traffic riding the Portsmouth Road ( aka the A3 ) would verge on insanity. So out via Effingham, the Drift and Grove Heath and then back under the A3 to Ockham where the former HautBoy was the centre of one of the CTC's earliest campaigns. From there, home via Cobham and Leatherhead.

No comments: