Sunday, May 24, 2020

Recent rides

The trusty Tricross has been out again.

Last Saturday I went a bit further than previous rides going over Whitedown to Holmbury St Mary where a pop up coffee outlet was too busy and insufficiently distanced to attract my custom. Onwards to Forest Green and Ockley where I sat on the grass by the church with my drink and cake. Home the familiar way through Capel, Newdigate and Brockham. It was good to get a bit further afield.

On Wednesday I thought I would follow Mark's partly offroad trip around the Downs though from the western end off Walton Lane into Sheep Walk and then over Epsom Downs.



All went well across to Perrotts Farm and Surrey Downs Golf Club though bigger tyres would have helped on the rougher downhill stretches. From here I had planned to extend the route east towards Chaldon and come back through Merstham. However I called a friend in Chipstead whose house I would be passing and the planned 10 minute socially distanced chat over the gate became a much longer one over an appropriately distanced beer in his extensive garden! So the return for a late lunch was a quick ride down the High Road to Babylon Lane, picking up the route at Mogador. I added a bit more offroad at the end by turning left immediately after going under the M25 beyond Headley and riding the bridleway to Crampshaw Lane in Ashtead.

Yesterday I dodged ( not always successfully) a few showers for a short ride out to Ockham.

2 comments:

Dave Vine said...

Brian thanks. It's really nice round Perrotts Fm and Banstead Woods though you are right about bigger tyres for a relaxed ride. I should visit all these off-road tracks before it rains; the last 2 months have been almost unique for spring riding.

Terry said...

Brian, I did stop at the Heartwork Coffee Bar Sunday and managed to distance myself. Fortunately I wasn't in a rush. Being second in the queue I thought there could be quickish service. Mine was order 55 but the first order collected was 47 - I had to wait approximately twenty minutes. It was very nice when it came. Hours of business are Tues-Fri 10-1pm, Sat and Sun 10-4pm. Apparently it is run by Sammy, son of the farm owner and has been there since January.