Friday, May 29, 2020

On the Beaten Track

Revisiting Princes Coverts and Esher Common

After the dry spring, the tracks are not only beaten but baked too; an ideal time for off-road riding if you don't like a lot of mud.  Although dust is a problem.   I'm discovering there is a whole network of routes that were previously invisible to me, and they're joyous to ride, if not fast.

Princes Coverts
I decided to re-visit Princes Coverts and devised a route including a fair bit of off-road, starting properly at Hook with a voyage along the Hogsmill River.   Turning right in West Ewell, I found a cycle route through Manor Park to Ashtead Common, which took me to The Star on the A243 Kingston-Leatherhead road.   Straight across and I was on a sort of unsurfaced road/track, taking me up to Princes Coverts.   Rather than sticking to the main cycle route, which is fairly wide and has a reasonable surface, I turned off into some of the little tunnel-paths through the woods, sometimes narrow, sometimes widening to leafy glades.   The surface was generally poor: the surface had been formed by horses' hooves and there was the odd log across the track to contend with, but I was most definitely communing with nature!
Also Princes Coverts
Emerging on the Malden Rushett road, I crossed into the amusingly named "New Road", the often-muddy track that leads to Claygate.  Only I didn't go that far, turning left before the A3 crossing to explore the very extensive Esher Common and West End common again, before returning to tarmac.  


I was a bit surprised to find that the "off-road" section was only 12.5 miles of a thirty mile ride, but it was by far the most memorable part.  And there are still plenty of unexplored routes to tempt me back.  Highly recommended.

1 comment:

Ged Lawrenson said...

Very interesting! Are the Bridle Paths signed, or did you also ride on Footpaths?

(I regularly use New Road, Prince’s Converts, from Claygate to Oxshott, for Cobham elevenses, and whilst sometimes walking through the muddy bits in winter, generally find it navigable by road bike). It’s popular with horse riders, but a delight in summer.