Wednesday, May 06, 2020

Wednesday Ride

A lovely day today, just right for a ride.  Intrigued by an item on the news yesterday evening, I thought I'd go to Gatwick.



Past Farthing Downs, over the top at Chaldon, down past Bletchingley, Outwood  and through Horley.


Along the cycleway to Gatwick, stopping at the end of the runway.  The A Group has been here a few times, and we usually amuse ourselves by taking pictures of the planes going over.  Not today - Gatwick was a very strange place indeed.  Plenty of planes, but all on the ground.  The shuttle busses were rattling around, but there was no-one on them.  The car-parks were empty.


The creature flying in the picture is not a distant plane - it's a pigeon.

Turning back for home I noticed that the A23, a handsome dual carriageway, was practically empty.  I thought I'd try it for a couple of miles.  In the end, I rode all the way to Coulsdon.  Every vehicle that passed me - and there weren't that many - passed steadily and considerately, giving me a wide berth.

As I rode up the small hill beyond Merstham, lined with flowers and the road to myself, I mused about the City to City records of the 30s, 40s and 50s.  If you could safely ride smooth, level, well-maintained roads like these then you really could cover some distance.

These are terrible times, but they have caused a very strange world that will soon be gone.

Mark




3 comments:

Dave Vine said...

Mark, nice story - happy memories - 458km to Paris - in our dreams to be able to get there.

Steph said...

Yes I sailed down Rockshaw Rd and was able to cross the A23 onto Gatton Bottom with ease. Not a route a normally take because of the difficulty of crossing there normally. Did enjoy views from Hilltop as it crosses the N Downs way. Took my usual off road bit through the sch at Gatton and down to Reigate. Shop at Strood Green is open but not for cafe. A lovely day.

mike morley said...

Well done Mark, your usual LGW trip!