Monday, May 18, 2020

The Shoreham Century

For the last decade, at about this time of the year, the Wayfarers have ridden the Shoreham Century.  With a relaxed view of the distance - you can do a lot less than 100 miles, and still have a good day out - the Shoreham Century has been a challenge for some and a pleasure for many.

As things stand, there looks to be little chance that we will be able to do it this year.  However, the Prime Minister has said that we could now do as much exercise as we wanted, as long as it was by ourselves and out of doors.

I decided that I wanted to do the Shoreham Century.

The Horse for the Course

I prepared my Orbea for the trip, with a saddle pack that holds the usual toolkit and some food, as I didn't expect that anywhere would be open.  I put on a 'Range Extender', the thing that looks like a battery in the rear bottle cage.  This was partly because it might be handy and partly because I had one and had never used it.  After installing it I checked it with the App (as we young people do), and beyond saying that everything was fine it told me that I now had a range of 171 miles.  Should be OK, then.

Up early, over the hill, and down to Reigate.


The route was pretty standard - Parkgate, Faygate, Colgate, Grouse Lane, Wineham and on towards Upper Beeding.  I made a brisk pace, with little traffic.

South Downs from A 2037
Then a jolly run down the new cycleway to Shoreham, ending at the Bridge Inn as usual.




I took a different route back, over Devil's Dyke, out to Turner's Hill and then Outwood, Coulsdon and home.  Elevenses was at the Hotel Audax, where the food was good but there was no coffee.  I had water instead.

The Hotel Audax



A slight disappointment on arriving home, when I realised that I hadn't done 100 miles.  I could have gone round the block, but then, this is The Shoreham Century, and no-one worries about that sort of detail.

A very good ride.

Mark








4 comments:

Dave Vine said...

Excellent ride report Mark. I was thinking about doing something similar myself, but hadn't quite summoned up the courage to go so far. Does the Hotel Audax do reservations?

Mark G said...

I don't think so, Dave. Despite being part of a large chain, it's a very casual establishment.

You can eat there, of course, and, as you will remember from your Audax days, you can also sleep at the Hotel Audax.

Neil will know more.

Simon L said...

Nice to see the traditions being kept, Mark!

Neil C said...

I've eaten at Hotel Audax in many places but never slept. They have a reputation for very hard beds so I have usually preferred al fresco verges.

I have also found that Hotels de Ville are not as welcoming as one might expect and are usually shut at the weekend.