Friday, May 08, 2020

East of Epsom


Over the last couple of days I have been exploring the approaches to Walton on the Hill in search of the elusive cygnets, hoping to win first prize, a nearly-new Lotus Elise 220 (that was the deal Mike, wasn’t it?).

En-route I have found some interesting paths, some more practical for a road bike than others.
Approaching Walton o/t Hill

No cygnets yet, but I did find plenty of herons. This one was in Epsom; the Walton ones were less willing to pose.

Epsom Heron


Venturing down the long descent on the A217 from Kingswood I was surprised to see a sedate looking lady riding a heavy looking bike in the opposite direction, uphill. She seemed unperturbed by the traffic, which was understandable as there was none.

I paused here on Chipstead Lane.


This is Sandy Lane, marked on the Surrey Cycle map as a cycle route leading south out of Kingswood, and potentially a safe alternative to the A217. For as long as I can remember this has been inaccessible, flanked by unfriendly signage, and clearly unused, with a large tree growing out of the path. Today the signage was still in place, but the gate was unlocked, the tree cut down, and the path evidently well used. It would not yet make a good cycle route as the tree stump is still there, but it’s progress. Does anybody know what’s happening here?

The lanes were all remarkably peaceful; seemingly lots of folk were in their front gardens celebrating VE Day. Venturing on towards Hooley the bluebells were still in flower, but evidently there are some strange people round here, so beware.

The sign says "Please do not Steal our Plants"


Home via Woodmansterne for the satisfaction of that final climb, after which it’s downhill all the way home.

A glorious day, 24.0 °C and 2 bottles finished in just over 2 hours.

8 comments:

mike morley said...

Hi Dave, East of Epsom looks great and I almost recognise part of your journey! As for the Elise, well I am not sure if I can run to that but maybe if you are really keen on a soft top I can do a deal on my MG mid engine d TF. Its similar to Nigel Taylor's but not as posh! Market value around £3K if I'm lucky- dream on!

Mark G said...

Don't know about Sandy Lane, Dave. OS shows no right of way, OpenStreetMap, which is often practically accurate, shows it as a footpath.

The bridleway half a mile or so to the east, past the Surrey Downs Golf club and down to Chipstead Lane is perfectly rideable, and if you go over from there through the lanes (very pretty) to The Crossways there's another, Crossways Lane, that will take you down to Gatton Bottom where you can join the North Downs Way or ride through the school to Rocky Lane, or Reigate in the other direction.

All OK on a road bike.

Dave Vine said...

Thanks Mark. Material there for another Lockdown adventure. Crossways Lane is interesting. Presumably it was a proper surfaced lane before the M25 was built; now a bit lumpy I seem to recall, but rideble.

Jeff said...

The Surrey CC Interactive Map records Sandy Lane as a track.

http://surreymaps.surreycc.gov.uk/public/viewer.asp

Jeff said...

Might the mysterious work on Sandy Lane be anything to do with a 2018 planning submission by W.S. Planning and Architecture for a housing development on Shrimps Field, stretching from the A217 to Sandy Lane?

If so it has been kept pretty quiet.

Brian said...

I remember trying Sandy Lane about 10 years ago in my early days with Wayfarers. The top was open then but I think I had to climb over the gate at the bottom. Later notices appeared at the top saying it was private. I must try the route through the golf club. I also tried Crossways Lane once as a route to Redhill but my recollection is that the descent was a bit challenging in places.

Mark G said...

I'd say Tricross, Brian. Big tyres and big brakes.

For both of these, the difficulties lie in the descent. Coming down from Eyhurst Park the track is horse-pocked; there are a couple of tricky wiggles on the descent of Crossways Lane.

Nothing to stop anyone who doesn't fancy these bits from walking them, of course.

They're not that hard.

Steph said...

My favourite route to Reigate is a R and L at the bottom of Markedge Lane then R at top through the school - following N Downs way and out at bottom gate. The school is closed but gates remain open for walkers and cyclists