Monday, April 06, 2020

Covid-19 : Experience of Infection


I've just had a conversation with David Vine Following which I thought it might be useful to post here, as it would seem there is little direct experience amongst Wayfarers.

Time line:

17 March : Vicky started symptoms (Note: 5 days on from most likely infection event)

Both into Full Domestic Isolation. Living in separate spaces in the house, maintaining 2m separation at all times)

22 March I started Symptoms

24 March I allowed Vicky to access the rest of the house!

25/26 March My direct symptoms resolved but still "off-center"

30 March, Out of quarantine but I woke with zero sense of smell

2 April I felt fully recovered

4 April Sense of smell returned

Symptoms:

We both had deep seated, dry (no phlegm cough). Not continuous or painful.
Temperature 37.8C
Vicky: Muscle aches esp lower back and headaches.
Me: Just generally "Off"

Medication:

Vicky, paracetamol for several days
Me, paracetamol for 1 day

Summary

Long Term Inmates, will be aware that I have had long term chest issues, Covid-19 was therefore a real worry. I E-mailed my longstanding consultant as I started symptoms, she was very reassuring as to the likely mild nature of the infection, even with my history, and normal home base precautions were adequate. She and a GP friend advised to pay particular attention to any breathing difficulties, especially as other symptoms subsided.

NHS 111 advice on line and by phone was to stay hunkered down at home but push the red button at any dramatic change.

Not everyone will get away with symptoms as mild as ours, but many will.  So don't panic.

Interesting Observation

My routine meds include a fairly high daily dose of Hydroxychloroquine and 3*weekly Azithromycin, both in the news potential severity/duration reducing medications for Covid-19.
I'm an anecdatapoint!

We await the antibody test to confirm that what we had was Covid-19, and in the meantime must continue to follow the rules on the assumption that we are still vulnerable..


Many thanks to David, and others, for getting and keeping in touch to see how we are. Much appreciated.







1 comment:

Dave Vine said...

Paul, Many thanks to you and Vicky for sharing such a detailed description of your experiences. And congratulations on coming through the experience successfully. Unfortunately our PM's plight shows that not every case is resolved without much more intense intervention. My very best wishes to you and Vicky, and stay well in the coming days.