Thursday, April 09, 2020

Surrey ramblings (2)

More rambling, both verbal and velocipedal.

My random Wayfarer sightings are now up to 5 with two more yesterday.

Things are certainly quiet out there though I find that rather than using off road routes to avoid the traffic it is now reversed as routes across Ashtead/Bookham Common and similar are now relatively busy with walkers and social distancing is easier on the road.

I have been keeping closer to home and like Simon have a ( mental) 5 and 10 mile circle map. Keeping within 5 is a bit tricky given the size of open relatively roadless spaces round here but I'm staying well within 10. I see that Simon's 10 mile circle comes almost past my front door. I could offer you a virtual coffee but you would be better off having a real one when you get home. Maybe a virtual elevenses on Zoom?

So three 20 mile circuits since my last post.

The first across a mudless New Lane to Claygate and then Esher, Cobham, Bookham and home.

On Saturday I went up to Headley then down Lodgebottom Road to Westhumble and the long drag up to Ranmore. Return was down Critten Lane to Effingham and back through Fetcham.

Yesterday I went out through Fetcham to Norbury Park to Westhumble. Then up Lodgebottom Road where Dave Ferret passed speeding down. I turned right at the top and looped round through Walton on the Hill and Tadworth to Epsom. Almost home when I met Maureen in Ashtead Park. The first day in shorts.

2 comments:

Dave Vine said...

Thanks Brian, I was wondering what you had been getting up to. I fully understand the difficulty of keeping very close to home.

Dave F said...

Saw both you and fixie Dave on my similar 20 mile local loop, but trying to keep it closer to an hour a couple of times this week.
Saw Keith and Dave and Jenny separately on an earlier local ride in March, so my Wayfarer count is a similar 5 to date.
Posting my local loops on Strava if anyone wants to see them. Can usually get close to 1000ft of hills in 14 local miles around Epsom Downs and/or Headley and 1500 ft in 20 if also taking in Ranmore.