Thursday, April 30, 2020

My Wednesday Ride

Yesterday was Wednesday and time for a bike ride.

Shall I go to New Haw like it says on my calendar?  No, I've left it a bit late to leave home, and they will have left before I get there. Shall I go for a long ride into the countryside?  No, the weather forecast isn't brilliant.  Let's keep it short and local. So I reached a similar conclusion to Simon, in his blog post earlier today, and headed for the Wimbledon hills for a bit of interval training.


A couple of miles of flat roads to warm up the legs and then into the hills. Gently up Copse Hill to start with and then into the tougher stuff. After half a dozen ascents I was freewheeling down Wimbledon Hill Road and needing to make a decision. Do I turn right and repeat the hills in the other direction, like quite a few other hardcore Sou'westers do? Or do I turn left and hope to find a friend in his front garden for a socially-distanced recovery chat? Of course I turned left, but he wasn't in his garden so I had to cycle on, up to Wimbledon Village and along the side of the common to the final hill.

820 feet of climbing in 10 miles

I had left this one until last as I think it is the steepest of the lot. Here is a photo from Streetview, but we all know photos never do the steepness justice. (But it does have bonus Wisteria for Mike Morley)


I gave it all the energy I had left, knowing I could stop and recover at the top.

Some time later I gently rolled down to Raynes Park and back home to continue my busy life of doing very little.

1 comment:

Dave Vine said...

Well done Neil. Wool Rd is no Bar Hatch but at 16%+ it's an uncompromising way to choose to end your ride. Next time you pass knock at our door for a suitably distanced coffee in the garden.