Monday, April 06, 2020

Last week’s rides

My rides have become shorter and closer to home but I’ve tried to find something interesting each time.

The ride on Monday 30th was so close to home it was in my kitchen! I’ve acquired a second hand Tacx Booster trainer, it’s not a ‘smart trainer’ but it allowed me to pedal along to a video of someone cycling outdoors whilst following instructions of the effort level I should be putting in. The video was supplied by an app called ‘The Sufferfest’ and I did 45 minutes only having gone out too hard.

I quite liked it and decided to invest in speed and cadence sensors to give better interaction.



Tuesday 31st saw me back on my road bike with very tired legs from yesterday’s session. I cycled from Epsom, up the Downs where I looked back at the Grandstand bathed in sunshine on what was an otherwise cloudy, moody day. After Walton I turned right and then right again onto the Headley Road which was now fully open. Back to Epsom via Wilmerhatch Lane made a short ride of 13 miles and 768ft elevation. 



On Wednesday 1st,  the sun came out and I thought to myself what a perfect day it would be for a Wayfarers ride. I took the same route out but this time instead of turning right into Headley Road I carried on and descended Pebble Hill. After Betchworth I turned right towards Brockham where I did another right into Old School Lane and then Tilehurst Lane. The oilseed rape in the field at the top of the short sharp climb was beginning to turn yellow which was a lovely sight. Back to Epsom via Box Hill where there were a few cyclists but not enough to cause social distancing problems. I noticed on this and other rides that quite a few cyclists weren’t wearing helmets. I’d guess they’re not regulars but have dusted off their own (or even their children’s) bikes off to go for a ride. 25 miles and 1,627ft elevation. 



Thursday 2nd’s ride was a repeat of Tuesdays but this time I stopped briefly in Walton on the Hill to look at a brood of ducklings. 



By Friday 3rd my new speed and cadence sensors had arrived so I did a half hour session on my turbo trainer followed by a home gym session (no I don’t have a gym at home, it was in the kitchen) using the minimal equipment I have. 

Saturday 4th I took my partner, Doug, out for the same ride as Tuesday. He hasn’t been on a bike since our cycling holiday last September so it was at a gentle pace. Maybe he’ll do a few more local rides as he’s unable to play golf, his first love, right now. 

By Sunday I was missing the sociability of group rides and the coffee and cake stops and didn’t feel like another solo ride despite the beautiful warm sunny weather. So I made myself get on with a big gardening job I’ve been putting off for quite some time, a couple of years or more.  

For the coming week I’ve decided I need to find some more routes, preferably with the odd flat section, to keep my interest and motivation. 

Stay safe everyone! 

4 comments:

Geoff Gregory said...

Hi Janice really nice to read about your rides, the turbo you have is a good choice I may need to invest in the add ones you have, let us know how you get on. I've set mine up for Christine as she is missing out on getting to the gym but is out fora run every other day.
So good to hear from people abouy what they are doing.
Stay safe and enjoy the company on your rides.
Geoff G.

Mark G said...

I feel sorry for your poor old Roberts, Janice. He's looking out of the window.

mike morley said...

Hi Janice me and my family have been keeping an eye on the ducklings on Walton Pond, I too took some photo's with the intention of posting but you beat me too it! At first there were 10
One used to wonder of and now there are 9, not sure what happened to the 10th. Maybe got lost at the 10th Tee on the Golf course!

mike morley said...

Hi Janice me and my family have been keeping an eye on the ducklings on Walton Pond, I too took some photo's with the intention of posting but you beat me too it! At first there were 10
One used to wonder off and now there are 9, not sure what happened to the 10th. Maybe got lost at the 10th Tee on the Golf course!