Thursday, April 30, 2020

Lockdown laps: Interval training on Richmond Hill

I mentioned before that the only hill near me is Richmond hill, a fairly modest 35-45m climb depending on what you include.   I've done a few laps a few times recently, just to get some hills in: it doesn't take long to do 300m of climbing, and then you can go off and do something enjoyable for the rest of the ride.

300 metres in 12 miles
Then I read this article about cycling training. I often read them, and never take the advice.   But this time I realised that their recommendation for interval training is not too far removed from the Richmond Hill circuit.  4 to 6 hard efforts lasting 30 secs to 2 mins, followed by easy riding for twice as long.   There are (at least) three ways up Richmond Hill, each takes about 2 mins, followed by 2-5 mins to get to the bottom again.   So maybe this is interval training after all?

Gradient on Nightingale Hill


2 comments:

Dave Vine said...

Simon, Nightingale Lane max 18% by my Garmin, which never lies. Nice view from the top to reward the effort

Tony said...

Years ago when I was running Richmond hill and Nigthingale lane were a regular training session, run from home and then 6 or 7 times up the hill, then stagger home